Air cleaner

/ Air cleaner #1  

Newt419

I have a YM 2000. Ive been thinking about adding a pre-cleaner or atleast re-route the air inlet from under the hood. Anybody done this? I dont want to cut holes in my hood but also dont want to restrict air flow from have to many bends in the inlet pipe.

/ Air cleaner #2  
Hi again Newt419,

Just finished doing the Air filter change too. It looked as if a Bird was building a nest inside the Air filter housing, so I also am looking into a pre-filter or actually just a screen of some sort to keep larger debris from being drawn into the housing. Same principle of the chafe screen in front of the radiator. It should be very easy to be kept clean by rinsing, the finer the screen mesh the better, also a large screen surface area is a plus for 14 hours a day of seat time.

I can only suggest to be creative.

/ Air cleaner #3  
Do you guys have the rubber hose that intakes air ahead of the radiator and carries it to the air filter? It should be easy to install a pre-filter made for some other tractor at the front end of that hose.

Also several US versions of Yanmar had an American air filter assembly (Donaldson??) with a proper pre-filter. I assume that was a generic-fit assembly you can likely still buy off the shelf, spec'd for a Bobcat or something.

As for me - I'll just keep changing the element frequently, to keep everything simple. And I like the Hoye elements that have a felt gasket on the top of the filter element.

One more thing: replace the rubber throat seal between the filter housing and the intake manifold if it isn't perfect. I got a replacement from Hoye. After this and with the felt-gasketed element, I'm confident that no dirty air is going in.

/ Air cleaner #4  
Hey California,

Yes there is a hose that puts the air intake forward and out of the cowling. My problem is that large pieces of straw and the like are drawn into it nestling between the filter element and the filter housing. Literally it looked like a Bird was building a nest in there.

Sure it will be very easy to add another filter element. Though not my suggestion. My intention is only to screen larger debris to prevent debris nestling in the cavity of the filter housing, also being easy to keep clean from the larger debris, not clogging the filter prematurely. Clipping fields that are 3 to 5 foot in growth not only clogs the Radiator Chafe Screen, the Intake seems to grab some too.

If I would have taken a picture, it would describe much better than my attempt at wording. Still try to think of it being similar and serving a similar purpose to the Radiator Screen.

My first try will be of Hardware Cloth wrapped with screen, replacing the rubber tube thingy.

Oh, as the external screen becomes clogged with debris, it is a reminder to inspect the rest of the filter system.

/ Air cleaner #5  
Before I started teaching, I worked in a fabrication shop building dune buggies and SCORE type desert race trucks. We used coarse foam sprayed with motorcycle air filter oil as pre-filters on those machines, but discovered that probably the best combination of traits is provided by Outerwears type pre-filters. It's similar to ripstop nylon, but lets air pass through quite well, while stopping sand and any moderately coarse dust. A quick brushing off of the pre-filter removes any contaminants, and air filter life is greatly extended.

They sell generic covers, as well as bulk material to build your own. It would be simple to rig a cage that fits into the rubber snorkel that holds the pre-filter.

I know some Yanmars came with a cyclone style pre-filter that seems to be a universal design for these sorts of machines. That would likely require drilling or fabrication a bracket of some sort, but parts should be simple to source, and it's designed for the purpose.

/ Air cleaner
You are exactly right. Whenever i am mowing tall grass, ecspecialy when it is as dry as it has been lately, it clogs the filter very quick. I believe the cooling fan contributes to this problem. But i also have another reason for wanting to move the intake hose. I think it would benefit the engine (power/performance) if it could draw cooler air. The air under the hood while working hard is very hot. If you doubt how hot it is, next time you are running a bush hog, try it with flip flops on. You cant stand the heat I promise. (And yes I found this out the hard way). Either way hot intake air and or hot fuel can cause a pretty good drop in horse power and performance as well as fuel economy. I have always thought that the intake hose was in a bad location because the fan is forcing even more hot ait down the intake as well as dirt.

/ Air cleaner #7  
I vote for the power loss from the engine heat...I ran my Bota , with tiller last week. I was wearing shorts and sneakers, blasts of hot air heating my lower body...Cool air equals better power...

/ Air cleaner #8  
"hot fuel" lowers deisel HP? It has to combust. I would have thought this would help, maybe it combusts to easy that way?

/ Air cleaner #9  
Search this forum "Improved Yanmar Air Intake". I remember having read this and when time permits will use a lot of the ideas here to reroute mine. I was thinking about using what I think is an oil bath filter that is on old Fords but do not know if they are pre filters or filters.

/ Air cleaner
"hot fuel" lowers deisel HP? It has to combust. I would have thought this would help, maybe it combusts to easy that way?

Yes it may not make sense but hot fuel/air ruins HP. Some bigger engines even have fuel coolers as well as air coolers. Cooler air is always better