Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year)

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
I just bought my first tractor yesterday, a 198-something (how can you tell?) Yanmar 336D which was not exactly taen care of. It was within my budget and provided the 4x4 I'll need to bush hog my hilly land.

it needs some decent work done before I can use it, and seeing as I've never had a tractor, let alone used a diesel engine, I'm looking for the service (at the least), parts and owners manuals for this tractor.

Please keep in mind, I am very new to tractors, and even the owners manual will be VERY helpful, seeing as there are levers on this thing I have zero idea what they do.

Thanks to anyone who can sell/give/email these manuals to me. I'm happy to pay for them, so if you have a set laying around.. here's your chance to make a buck from them!

Cheers!

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #2  
'Domush' Welcome to TractorByNet,

Sorry no freebee's...
Try.....
Yanmar Tractor Parts: YM336_336D

Stuff is out there, a little effort will give a wealth of information.

As for the 198 ??? , tachometer hours ??? well, less than a month of seat time to an aggressive field worker can clock that...

Aaron will be a very good friend to make... 1Danny too....

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year)
I meant I don't know the year, but am pretty sure it is 1983-85, seeing as it has 6 lug rims (I read somewhere the newer ones had 8 lug rims.. m,ay be wrong. Is there a means to find out the actual year? It has been painted by the previous owner, so I am having a difficult time finding the model/serial plate to find out. All of the stickers on it are in french (I think it's french), too. Though the dashboard (key start, tach) is in english.

No idea on the hours, as the tach was disconnected, as any good tractor abuser does right off the bat.. :/

Is that an original manual or one the guy just photocopied? I am hoping to find a color one, seeing I barely know I'm looking at anyhow. Thanks for the link. This forum may become my new home for a month or so while I fix up this thing. I have so many questions already, but I'm trying to read what others have said about the 336, as to not annoy by asking the same questions over.

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #4  
:)
OK, my apology for not construing, nor anticipating a year model question.

Me, I have an Orphan Model which required a little more than average research.

As for finding an Original Manual, I hope you have a large wallet, I am almost sure the manuals offered will be electronic facsimiles.

Me, I am grateful parts are available. Aaron at Hoye, plus other supporters keep these tractors operational. If a basic operational manual is wanted, who cares if it is original print? Unless 0ne is a true collector seeking the holy grail...

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #5  
ebay has a couple 336 manuals right now.

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #6  
Is there a means to find out the actual year?
Yanmar never used Year to reference anything. With enough research you can learn beginning and ending year for an entire series, but that's about it. Especially on the US Yanmars, year advertised/sold in the US can be later than the end of production for that series built for the Japan market, probably indicating a substantial lag between build/sale.

Yanmar manuals use Model and then Revision Level to specify parts. For the chassis model and number, look for it stamped into the transmission by your left ankle. Usually the engine model is on a green tag near the starter, with engine serial stamped into the block nearby. When you have those numbers, you can find your way around in the parts manuals.

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #7  
I have a 3110D real close to a 336D. The 336 manual I use is only B&W copy. I don't know if the originals were color. The B&W is a good clear copy. I don't own a service manual so, I can't say if the print is as clear as the owners manual. If you buy from a reputable dealer & they should be good copies

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #8  
Hoye has manuals I bet. Welcome to the Yanmar forum btw lots of help on that tractor here.

That is a real good model Yanmar to have btw if its in any shape at all it will do you good. These are not exactly compact tractors they can do a lot and are easy to work on a big plus.

I have a 3810D same chassis as yours and the 3110D and my 336 manual is a bw copy its so so nothing to brag about but it works.

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year) #9  
I just bought my first tractor yesterday, a 198-something (how can you tell?) Yanmar 336D which was not exactly taen care of.
Thanks to anyone who can sell/give/email these manuals to me. I'm happy to pay for them, so if you have a set laying around.. here's your chance to make a buck from them!
Cheers!

Congrats on the YM336D. They are quite a good tractor, and parts very accessible if you need them. It's one of my favorites. In fact, I bought one for my wife for her birthday years ago!! It's one of the last ones built and has been great. I've got the original manuals for mine, but sorry...no spares. I'll try to help with information if I can. The serial number would be very helpful and if you can make it out we can track down more info from the service bulletins.

Those three original manuals - parts, shop, and owners - were exceptionally well done. Decent binding, multicolor illustrations on the shop manual, sharp photographs and good technical explanations. I've collected a few shop manuals and these rival some of the vintage JD publications for excellence. It will be worth your time to get an original set. Ten years ago Yanmar Parts in the USA sold those OEM manuals. They were about $100 each. All three are printed on high quality semi-slick paper. The Service manual is over 1.5" thick, the parts manual is an inch, and the owners has 106 pages.

Some hints: Drain the trans/hydrualic oil and clean out the the trans/hydraulic filter at the rear of the tractor by the PTO. BTW, there is a transmission heater that can be mounted in there if you are in a cold climate!! Replace the higer pressure filter under your right foot. That's a higher pressure; use a Yanmar filter. In fact, only use Yanmar filters by preference. If you doubt the quality of the t/h oilthen replace it. It should be very clean and never milky. Use JD 303 HyGard or equivalent. Drain, clean, and swab out the fuel tank and fuel strainer. Replace that fuel filter. They absorb water. Engine oil and filter...obviously. With a mild garden hose stream clean the radiator by spraying from the engine side. Always protect the combo fuel filler cap/fuel gauge against rain; they leak. Also protect the center of the steering wheel so rain water doesn't run down the steering shaft. There is no drain down there.

Change the front axle oil now. It drains slowly, there were several drain/fill schemes for the front axle. Don't know which one yours has, but the point is that you have to drain the tower gears at each wheel to get any condensation out. That's important. Expect some oil leaks where the front wheels bolt to the front axle at the the inner wheel surfaces. It's unfortunately common, butnot really a problem if the leak is slow. Refill the front axle to half way up the center axle shaft. I use 80w/80 or 80w/90 oil in my front axle. You can use a stick in the front axle filler hole to check when the front axle oil gets to about half way up the horizontal axle. That's a good level. Don't overfill. Expect it to take an hour for that axle oil to seep down and find it's level. It has to enter the tower gears by seeping through the axle bearings. Check it again tomorrow. If you do that right and make sure to drain the condensation out of the front axle then just check it periodically to make sure oil is in there.
Enjoy!! rScotty

/ Looking for service/parts/owners manual for Yanmar 336D (any year)
Congrats on the YM336D

Some hints:

Thank you so much for the hints! I got new fluids for everything today. I ran it just long enough to unload it off the trailer, and it'll sit where it is until I have completely gone through it.

I did manage to find an OEM service manual on ebay, so that is on its way. I'll be glad to know what the various levers do. Not to mention, it seems every single button or knob on the dash is missing, so knowing what is supposed to be there would be nice, too.

So far I have (or will before running it again)..

- Changed the engine oil
- Changed the trans fluid
- Changed the front axle oil
- cleaned the injectors
- cleaned the valve assembly (looks like water got in there :()
- built a new air cleaner housing (oem was missing parts). Now accepts a high flow K+N (washable) filter. I'll post pics of it if anyone is interested
- replaced sheet metal on rear fenders
- installed new 3pt linkages
- replaced pretty much every single hose on it
- replaced fuel bowl gasket
- installed aftermarket fuel filter
- replaced seat with cushioned high back (priority #1 right there ;))
- reversed front tires (I realize it will work the bearings harder, but being my first tractor, I want to err on the side of caution until I get used to how tractors balance on slopes. I'll put them back when I get comfortable)
- replace fuel cap (it is damaged, bummer :()
- clean air intake manifold (has crud in it)
- replace gaskets on fuel pump and whatever is to the right of it (cheap gasket maker was used.. I hate that stuff)
- replace battery with marine battery (I had one hanging around)
- repaint body (previous owner painted John Deere green, I don't like it. This is pretty much a time killer while I wait for the service manual to come in)
- replace muffler (made a custom exhaust, so it ejects below and behind me, like a car)
- replaced damaged headlamps (installed switch for them, seeing as all switches are missing from dash)
- replace hydrolic filters (when I find them.. Thanks for letting me know where they are. I had no idea where to look)

Please let me know if there is anything crucial I have forgotten about.

I have access to a full metal shop, so making/modifying stuff isn't a big deal for me. Hence the air filter housing, exhaust and sheet metal..

I'll try to get a few snapshots up here tomorrow, so you can see the before and after. I'm hoping to keep this tractor for a good long time. I really like it. I just wish I found one with a loader.