Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Default Re: New Yanmar Tiller

Yes the wheels control depth. My little YM186D couldn't quite run this RS1400 tiller until I got the wheels for depth control (thanks rmully!!) because when the front of the tractor hit a sudden rise the tiller went too deep and sometimes brought me to a standstill. Now with the wheels on it, it works perfectly.

These wheels trail like the wheel on a rotary mower. I probably should have said 'trail' instead of 'steer'.

I put the links that go from the axles up to the kingpins, on the inner side, nearer each other, rather on the outer side of the wheels like shown in the diagrams above. I wondered if anyone had compared setting them both ways.

-p1640595rrototilling2011-jpg

Tractor
    yanmar 2000

I have a question for you? I just bought a tiller with the wheels, havent had a chance to use it yet. I have to clean it up alittle.
    Anyways, i noticed the wheels will onlly turn to a certain point. Are the supposed to also hill the dirt? There is a bolt and nut on the shaft that locks the wheel into a position.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by rickatom View Post
    i noticed the wheels will only turn to a certain point.
    I puzzled over that too. When I started tilling I found it was easy to get a wheel cocked sideways and gouge a trench as I went along. Greasing the spindle corrected that - I hadn't thought it was necessary. I think the very limited swing range is so the wheel won't flop around too far to recover from, after you lift it.

And note the setup diagram calls for the axle supports, the part that goes down from the spindle to the axle, to be on the outer sides of the tiller. I had put them on the inside so they wouldn't gouge my orchard trees but after a little tilling, that clearly wasn't right. I swapped the wheel/spindle assemblies and that trails better with the supports on the outside.

I like the wheels. I understand later tillers don't include them and they are considered unnecessary, but for me they really help to not to take too big a bite which can stall my smaller tractor when its nose climbs up a sudden rise. (RS1400 tiller intended for 20 hp, used on a 15 pto hp tractor).

Tractor
    yanmar 2000

So I guess it could be a good thing that the wheels are included. One of them appears the bearing is bad, so we will take apart and see if it can be fixed.
    I rained today, so I wasnt able to get out and tinker with it. I am going to soak some bolts with PB blaster and see if it will loosen some old joints. Might even try alittle on myself, lol....

Tractor
    Kubota

-yanmar5-jpg

My wife translated this sticker. Your earlier posts were pretty accurate. The top tine configuration is for level (flat) tilling. The center for a hill on each side. The bottom for a center hill. Also the other sticker says grease wheel shafts every 50 hours and change the 90 weight gear oil every 200 hours.

Thanks for the info. All my stickers are illegible.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Quote Originally Posted by Otisrulez View Post
    -yanmar5-jpg

My wife translated this sticker. Your earlier posts were pretty accurate. The top tine configuration is for level (flat) tilling. The center for a hill on each side. The bottom for a center hill. Also the other sticker says grease wheel shafts every 50 hours and change the 90 weight gear oil every 200 hours.

Thanks for the info. All my stickers are illegible.
    Since i like raised rows I decided to configure my tines for a center hill. Picture 1. Picture 2 shows the results. I didn't like the results so I put my tines back in the original "flat" formation and went back over the same area and that is picture 3. Very little difference. If you raise the deflector up it will hill a little more.

I put new tines on as my old ones were so thin out toward the ends I was afraid they were going to start breaking. For what it is worth I can't tell any difference in the results with the old or new tines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_5898-jpg   -100_5902-jpg   -100_5905-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12