Tires Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #1  

benhood

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I bought a Yanmar 1500D about 3 weeks ago. I got it home and was grading my road and looked down to see one of my front tires was flat and riding on the rim. The tire and tube are shot. Both have a pretty big gash in them. I have looked around online and local and the cheapest I have found was on ebay for about $180 for 2 with shipping. I have seen where Hoye tractor has a conversion kit to switch these to turf tires but for around $1300-1400 I think I would just stay with the rice tires. My question is if I could make some John Deere wheels and tires work. I have found some that are 23x8.50-12. I do not know what the off set is on these tires. I have seen tires like the ones that are on these wheels that have a load capability of around 1000+ lbs. I have seen where some people have made there on tires with old truck rims also. Would it hurt the performance of the tractor to have wide turf tires on the front and the rice tires on the back until I could replace them with turf tires too?

Thanks,
Ben

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D
Does anyone know if any front wheel drive 4 bolt wheels will mount to the front of the Yanmars? I have an old Honda Civic and I measured those but they don't match up. Is there any truck wheels that will match back wheels on the Yanmar?

Thanks,
Ben

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #3  
I bought a Yanmar 1500D about 3 weeks ago. I got it home and was grading my road and looked down to see one of my front tires was flat and riding on the rim. The tire and tube are shot. Both have a pretty big gash in them. I have looked around online and local and the cheapest I have found was on ebay for about $180 for 2 with shipping. I have seen where Hoye tractor has a conversion kit to switch these to turf tires but for around $1300-1400 I think I would just stay with the rice tires. My question is if I could make some John Deere wheels and tires work. I have found some that are 23x8.50-12. I do not know what the off set is on these tires. I have seen tires like the ones that are on these wheels that have a load capability of around 1000+ lbs. I have seen where some people have made there on tires with old truck rims also. Would it hurt the performance of the tractor to have wide turf tires on the front and the rice tires on the back until I could replace them with turf tires too?

Thanks,
Ben

I bought a 1602D about 6years ago, it had ricers on it. They serve there purpose, but I needed turfs. The turf packages for the yanmar were cost prohibitive for me.

Here is what I did.
I checked ebay and got brand new JD turf rears on the rim for $199 shipped that were a similar diameter as my ricers. The biggest problem was the bolt circle was not the same.

I had 1.5" spacers made to mount on the Yanmars bolt circle and then convert the mounting to bolt circle of the turfs ($175).

I then measured the ratio of fronts to rears of the rice tires by putting a mark on both the front and rear and measuring the distance each went for 5 revolutions.

Once the ratio was known, I mounted the rears and while in 2wd, I did the same for the new turf rears. Once I had this distance, I was able to calculate the required rolling diameter for the front tires. I found a Carlisle model had the perfect size, and matched the tire with a JD front rim ($175). So for $550, I had a perfect matching set of turfs for my 1602D.

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #4  
I would just buy the rice tires, i m thinking this will be way cheaper in the long run? Hoye also sells used tires from time to time to clear out the warehouse. They did this about a year ago. Call them up and ask i bet they may have some used ones. But seriously i would buy a half boot that goes in the tire to keep your tube in the gash and keep trash and sticks out of the inside of the tire.

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #5  
I have found that there seems to be no enthusiasm about changing the wheels out on a tractor from something other than another tractor wheel;)
a couple weeks ago I found 2 wheels that were a direct bolt onto the front of my tractor ( 4-lug ) I thought perhaps some here might would like to know of this find, although very little if no interest or positive feedback was shown,:cool: you mention the wheels from a honda car, I'd say no they will not fit, the only car wheels I have found that will bolt up would be from a V/W bug although most are 15" and narrow and the style of wheels simply would look weird on a tractor, there use to be aftermarket wheels made for V/W in order to run a larger/wider tire but I haven't manage to find any of them, I have also found another older German made car in the salvage yard that had the same bolt pattern but the wheels were so rusty I didn't bother with them,
It seems I'm always one who is giving bad advice :eek:
You ask about the effect on changing to a wider tire on front? I can't see as to how having a wider tire would be a problem, so as long as keeping the same ratio to match with the rear tires,

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #6  
I pulled the rice tire off my 1110d and was luckily able to put together a set of bolt on ready turfs. I had found that 8'' 4 bolt trailer wheels lined right up and cleared with the front hubs. As for tires I bought new Titans 16x8.5x 8. For the back, an Ebay seller called Jeds sold me a pair of 12x7 rims with the correct 6 bolt pattern, and then I found a set of used 23x10.5x12s for the back. All together costs me less than $200 and still have the rice tires on rims.
A friend of mine has a 1500d and is considering turfs, but the straight out cost of new rims and turfs is way too much money. We figured the best approach as for the fronts was to use a set of used 12'' garden tractor tires and rims and cut out the center, fab out some 1/4'' steel with the correct bolt pattern and weld them in. A cheap Ebay plasma cutter would work nicely.
As for the rears, I believe chevy 6 hole truck rims are close to the same pattern as the yanmars, I think that a rat tile file would be needed to actually get them to go on though. A set of any wider steel 15 or 16'' truck rim would work if you again cut out the center and fab 1/4'' steel for the 6 hole bolt pattern.
The rear rice tires are close to 36'' tall on a 1500, so a 36x12.5x15 or 16 turf tire would work as a replacement,and there is an Ebay seller that sells that size turfs as blems for 1/2 the cost of new.
It would be somewhat of a hassle but could and is done all the time.

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #7  
VW Bug wheels fit? That's good to know. Those must be wider than the 15x3 wheels on my YM240. I wonder if VW wheels are strong enough for a loader.

Unrelated trivia that might be helpful to somebody: many small US trailers and boat trailers have 4-lug hubs for 8 inch and sometimes 12 inch wheels. The largest wheel/tire available for this bolt pattern is 5.30 x 12 which is a narrow tire. The only taller/wider wheel to fit that trailer hub was on early Vega or Chevelle - and that was so long ago that I doubt there are any in junkyards today. If someone knows another inexpensive source I would like to hear it. I use my little utility trailer in the orchard with a full 2000 lb load when I'm taking water to the new trees and wide tires that don't sink in so much would be helpful.

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D
I bought a 1602D about 6years ago, it had ricers on it. They serve there purpose, but I needed turfs. The turf packages for the yanmar were cost prohibitive for me.

Here is what I did.
I checked ebay and got brand new JD turf rears on the rim for $199 shipped that were a similar diameter as my ricers. The biggest problem was the bolt circle was not the same.

I had 1.5" spacers made to mount on the Yanmars bolt circle and then convert the mounting to bolt circle of the turfs ($175).

I then measured the ratio of fronts to rears of the rice tires by putting a mark on both the front and rear and measuring the distance each went for 5 revolutions.

Once the ratio was known, I mounted the rears and while in 2wd, I did the same for the new turf rears. Once I had this distance, I was able to calculate the required rolling diameter for the front tires. I found a Carlisle model had the perfect size, and matched the tire with a JD front rim ($175). So for $550, I had a perfect matching set of turfs for my 1602D.

The JD wheels I was looking at have 5 lug holes in them. What I had thought was getting my father in law to weld up the holes and then make a template and drill new holes that would fit my Yanmar. Don't know if this would work or not. But the wheels and tires are about $100. So that isn't too bad to get a set of turf tires for my tractor. And I believe the Hoye tractor set for the front was 8-12 rims. Forget to say that the wheels I found are the rear wheels from a JD 312. The size of the tire should be the same height as the rice tires that are on there now

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #9  
Rather than welding up the existing rim holes on a 5 lug and redrilling it for 4, why not just make a spacer to adapt them? Not really as much work, if you can the metal working equipment, but even with very little equipment it is still doable. Just a little care in laying out the old and the new holes will go a long way to making them work.
David from jax

/ Converting tires on Yanmar 1500D #10  
VW Bug wheels fit? That's good to know. Those must be wider than the 15x3 wheels on my YM240. I wonder if VW wheels are strong enough for a loader.

I think the width was around 4 1/2 wide, the one wheel I tried on had a tire mounted so I'm not exact on the width, I'm sure it would be plenty strong enough built, i didn't use the v/w wheels for reasons of not gaining much more wider benefit then what we current have,
perhaps 2" max. wider the wheel inset and could not be reversed, only thing gain would be the ability to use 15" tires, which I have found out are limited to taller tires more so than a shorter ones,
here in the picture you can see the V/W style wheel and can see no benefit in using these style, although if one could ever find a couple of the old aftermarket ones that were made for the V/Ws I'm sure they could be used on our tractors,

Last edited: