Buying Advice Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!!

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #1  

chnash99

Tractor
?
OK so I know this question has been asked to death but I am going to ask it again anyway.

Currently live on 100 acres with 3 other family members. We have several tractors on the farm but none of them are mine. They range from 33HP Case to a 98HP JD.

I am looking at buying a smaller tractor to get into tight spaces in the woods. I will definitely be doing FEL work, mowing grass, general cleaning in the woods, and maintaining about 700 feet of gravel driveway.

2 questions:

First: I am considering a yanmar 2310D from Fredricks or a used Mahindra 3015 HST with about 800 hours on it. Both are about the same money. Should I go with a Yanmar (30 year old tractor, UTDA certified) or get a newer mainstream tractor with several hundred hours and not sure how it has been maintained?

I know the Yanmar has more than 800 hours but I Fredricks should have at least gone through the entire tractor and gotten it in top shape for it's age and use.

Second: I have also talked to Fredricks and they have a 1820D (with aftermarket powersteering) for a few hundred dollars less than the 2310D. I like the thought of a smaller frame since I want to be able to get into tight places but am concerned about the smaller engine and HP. Will the 1820 be able to get the work done or do I need more hp/weight?

I am not a mechanic (but like to tinker and figure stuff out myself). Honestly I like the thought of the Yanmar being so simple. With an HST I am a little concerned that if anything goes wrong I won't even be able to figure out what to do on my own. I think with the Yanmar and this board I could figure most of it out on my own.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #2  
OK so I know this question has been asked to death but I am going to ask it again anyway.

Currently live on 100 acres with 3 other family members. We have several tractors on the farm but none of them are mine. They range from 33HP Case to a 98HP JD.

I am looking at buying a smaller tractor to get into tight spaces in the woods. I will definitely be doing FEL work, mowing grass, general cleaning in the woods, and maintaining about 700 feet of gravel driveway.

2 questions:

First: I am considering a yanmar 2310D from Fredricks or a used Mahindra 3015 HST with about 800 hours on it. Both are about the same money. Should I go with a Yanmar (30 year old tractor, UTDA certified) or get a newer mainstream tractor with several hundred hours and not sure how it has been maintained?

I know the Yanmar has more than 800 hours but I Fredricks should have at least gone through the entire tractor and gotten it in top shape for it's age and use.

Second: I have also talked to Fredricks and they have a 1820D (with aftermarket powersteering) for a few hundred dollars less than the 2310D. I like the thought of a smaller frame since I want to be able to get into tight places but am concerned about the smaller engine and HP. Will the 1820 be able to get the work done or do I need more hp/weight?

I am not a mechanic (but like to tinker and figure stuff out myself). Honestly I like the thought of the Yanmar being so simple. With an HST I am a little concerned that if anything goes wrong I won't even be able to figure out what to do on my own. I think with the Yanmar and this board I could figure most of it out on my own.

I personally would not get the 1820 if you want to do bushhogging or pulling a plow with it. You will want the extra 4hp and weight of the 2310. Yes the Manihandra is a newer but more complicated tractor. You probably wont be able to fix many things that would never een happen on the yanny due to not haveing them. But manihandra is a newer more comfortable tractor most likely, proably will do more work as has a better weight and still 800 hours is not all that much. Although i do not know what their service life is 3000 hours 5000 hours or like many of the old jd's and fords 10000 hours?????

Its a tough decision, we really need someone with personal experience on both to give you an idea.

I only have been on my ym2000 and my uncles JD4400. The JD is 30something HP and mine is 24hp. The JD is a much more powerful tractor with a loader as well. Can turn a 6ft bushhog and i can turn a 4ft. He can pull a larger disk, but in the end, if you forget the loader i can pretty much do everything he can it will just take me longer, and i can go places he cant in a taller longer tractor. As you have larger tractors im sure your not going to be bushhoging 20 acre pastures with this small tractor.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #3  
Fredricks should have quite a few more options for you in the Yanmars. If it were me I would get a yanmar with the power steering. I bet they have some other models that have power steering. Working in tight places w/o p.s. can be tough when your loader is full.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #4  
As I have seen others say, there are trade offs on large vs small, and one size is not best for everyone. I have a YM1700. I mostly use it for finish mowing, but it is big enough to use a 4' bushhog and tiller for smallish jobs. If it was bigger with more HP & weight, it wouldn't be as good at finish mowing because it would tend to tear up the ground and be harder to maneuver, but it would be better at bushhogging and tilling. The larger one would also burn fuel faster. The people who say "buy yourself a big boy tractor and you can do anything" are wrong. You're the only one who can work out what you want to use it for and how important each type of work is.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #5  
Wow. I am going to have to bring some sanity to this. A 30 hp newer hydrostat, power steering, 11.5 total GPM hydraulics, mid PTO and 2200lb 3 point lift or a an (admittedly nice) older Yanmar for the same price? Check out the Mahindra to determine how well it's been taken care of and if it is in good shape, there wouldn't even be a second thought about which to get. The only advantage to the Yanmar might be more gear ranges. The Mahindra still has a 3 range trans though. The Mahindra is based on a very proven design, engine and drivetrain. The 15/16 series Mahindras have excellent reliability and owner satisfaction reports....I just can't imagine not going with a proven bigger, heavier and newer machine that is better equipped.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #6  
I really was thinking the same as the last guy for the same $$ i would buy the manihandra, if the yanmar was used and in the $3.5k range thats different, but seriously i think if your forking out 8-12K id buy the Manihandra.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #7  
Fredricks is also a Large mahindra dealer. Ask him about the 3016. He may have a used 1 on the lot. I've had many dealings with him. In my opinion,,He's as honest as they come. When I bought my yanmar (several yrs ago) He said he would knock off $500.00 when I came back & purchased a loader. Years later ( a couple months ago) I went back to get the loader. There are some new people working there now so, when I ask about the price of a loader, the new person gave me the price. I then told him what Tom had told me. This new person stated that I had bought my tractor some yrs ago & he would have to ask Tom if he would hornor the $500.00 discount. This new person ( can't remember his name) called me & said Tom would hornor the discount. I would like a mahindra. But, my 3110D is a tough tractor

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #8  
The Manihandra is used! See the part about 800 hours! I think this is why he is considering these 2 tractors as he must have stopped by Frederics. I knew he was a manihandra dealer so i assumed both tractors were at his lot?

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #9  
I sure like having a 4 sd pto and a diff lock and powershift is hard to beat and 3pt attachments are probably easier to get on and off than a belly mower?

I dont have any idea thats just a guess on the mower they look more difficult and they certainly take up ground clearance for other tractor chores my .02..

They both would most certainly only barely sip fuel and be very easy on the wallet on fuel at least. The Yanmar looks like it would be the easiest to work on but looks can be deceiving fwtw. hth

edit: I have to agree with what kenmac said about the room difference that is a big consideration no doubt. My tractor is big and has enough for a big guy like me 6' 240 lbs but on the other hand I cant hardly get on and off my buddy's 1610D it doesn't fit my big frame at all and my other friends 2420D is almost as bad but I could operate that one its just real tight so I imagine it is close to a 2310 I dont know.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #10  
The Manihandra is used! See the part about 800 hours! I knew he was a manihandra dealer so i assumed both tractors were at his lot?

I read the 800 hr part & the over 800 hr part on the yanmar. I don't know if the saw the mahindra at Fredricks or not. He didn't say if it was on the side of the road or at a dealer. Try out both (if possible ) buy the 1 you like. You will have more room on the Mahindra. Buddy of mine has a 2016 room is what I like about his