Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones?

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones? #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
Now that my tractor is running and usable, I am attempting to see if the white smoke issue may be connected to the timing of my fuel pump. The shims for the pump were bent when I bought it, so it may be off a bit (or a lot, who knows).

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out how the timing marks work on these. I see three sets of two timing marks on the flywheel, each pair with a 1, 2 and 3 stamped next to one of the marks. The service manual goes into detail as to how to check the timing, except it doesn't say which marks should line up.

Has anyone done this timing check?

Here is the page from the manual, if anyone wants to see it:

Scan.jpg

From complete guessing, when I go to #1 TDC, the bottom mark of the #1 flywheel pair is lined up perfectly. When I crank it until fuel begin to come out, it is between the marks. I have no idea which mark I should be lining it up to. It is retarded or advanced? (I wonder this about myself quite often, too :laughing:)

Any thoughts?

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones? #2  
I have never done this on a diesel engine, so I'm just guessing.

The manual seems to imply that there are at least two marks: A TDC mark, and an injector timing mark at 25 degrees before TDC. So, if that is correct, the TDC mark will be the second one. Since your pointer is between the marks, that would mean the engine has rotated past the timing mark, so you should pull shims.

That would also go along with the idea that the bent shims would tend to act as thicker shims, and set the timing later.

I think. :laughing:

Hopefully one of the guys who actually knows what he is talking can help you more, but it seems logical, from far away and through a computer screen...

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones?
That makes perfect sense!

For some reason I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Thanks!

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones? #4  
I am not one of the guys that knows what he is talking about but I agree with 284. Good explanation as usual.:thumbsup:

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones? #5  
Page starts with no 5 .......where is no 1....to....no 4 ? That will be the prep for this proceedure !

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones? #6  
Page starts with no 5 .......where is no 1....to....no 4 ? That will be the prep for this proceedure !

This thread is 5 years old. Are you needing help or just commenting on the pages?

/ Timing marks for fuel pump timing - Which ones? #7  
This thread is 5 years old. Are you needing help or just commenting on the pages?

haha! I was like Domush pops in the door and now all of a sudden he is retimeing his tractor!!