Wheel Weights for YM186D

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
I found a pair of cast iron wheel weights on Craigslist. 75 lbs each, 15 inch diameter. Application unknown.

He wanted $20 for the pair. I'm too cheap to pass that up. :D

218862d1309067173-wheel-weights-what-do-these-wheelweights1.jpg

They are a good fit on the YM186D, after I removed some metal to let the valve stem pass by without touching. I also added 45 degree valve stem extensions to get the caps out where I can reach them.

This added weight makes it possible to run in 2wd nearly all the time, even most of the time with my 2200 lb watering trailer. Highly recommended!

P1650243rWWeightInstalled.JPG P1650197rWWeightGrind.JPG P1650199rWWeightVStem.JPG P1650250rWWeightVStemDetail.JPG

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #2  
Nice job ! :thumbsup:

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #4  
Very nice! :thumbsup:

If you reversed your rims so that the valve stem is on the inside of the tire, could the weights then be flipped over and fit flush with the outside of the wheel? I am not saying this well--but I hope that you can translate it.

That price seems less than scrap prices now. At least what we are getting for scrap here now.

Mike

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #5  
Those look good, and seem to have added enough weight to let the tractor work as desired. I like it, and wish I had some like it to put on other things, especially at the price! That's a terrific bargain.

Of course, as usual, MJPetersen has a simple, yet ingenious solution to the misalignment of the valve stem cutout in the weight vs the location of the valve stem: Just swap the wheels around, putting the valve stems to the center of the tractor, and tuck everything neatly into the wheel. Kudos, MJ! :thumbsup:

I should have thought about it when California and I were talking about how to cut the groove for the valve stem. :eek: Oops.

California, how did you set and align the weights onto the bolts securing them to the rims? Did you pull the wheels and do it while they were flat, or use a hoist, or what? I finally gave up trying to muscle the ones I bought onto the YM2000, and had to pull the wheel off and lay it flat. There must be a better way than the way I did it. There always is! :laughing:

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D
Thanks guys. :)

I need maximum width for rollover safety and these are deep dish wheels, so I couldn't turn the valve stems in.

I considered mounting the weights on the inner surface of the wheels. But that interferes with the cross-bolt that secures the adjustable width hub.

After lots of measuring I decided the shoulder on that stepped weight has to face out. If it faced inward there would be massive interference with the tip of the valve stem; it would be two inches deep (at an angle) in cast iron.

Before cutting those grooves, the weights were kept 1/4" off the face of the wheel by interference with the outer end of the valve stem. I cut those gouges in the weights large enough to get to the valve stems with a Schrader-removal tool or air chuck but the stem-extenders will be easier to use routinely.

284, I made a platform by each wheel, and set each weight on edge next to its wheel. Then slid it into position on the wheel. To center them for final tightening, I used temporary shims. Working without a hoist was manageable at 75 lbs each.

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #7  
California, you are a common sense guy. Another well done project.:thumbsup:

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #8  
Looks like they could be factory parts there California nice find and great job on the instal!

I bet she rides a lot smoother also mine sure does!

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D #9  
what a find I was looking on craigs list the other day for the same reason. I drained the calciumcloride out of my ym165d ,becuase of the rust and leakage.with the rims repainted and new tubes it looks better but I need the weight.I do have a 180 lb 3pt mount for the winter,but I do lose traction now.with the ym165d the wheel dose mount differnt

/ Wheel Weights for YM186D
Thanks everybody.

I mowed for a couple of hours this afternoon. I didn't notice a smoother ride, probably because the tires are loaded with water. What I did notice is a flywheel effect, it goes over rough ground better at lower rpm without bogging own.

And of course traction is greatly improved. I have 240 lbs of weights on the front bumper which must have unloaded some weight off the back axle. Now with the new rear wheel weights, it pulls much stronger in 2wd.