RCO or COLDWATER?

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #31  
I can understand why didn't buy from them you live a long way from Austin. I really like Yanmar, I know anything can fail, so my expectation is not that this machine would be trouble free, but I think there is a reasonable chance it may run trouble free for a long time. I live close enough to get in RCO's face if they don't come through with their end of the deal, on the warranty if I need it. The thing is mowing now with my daughter-inlaw and seems to be doing fine, even in over 100+ temps all summer long in central Texas. She has been mowing about 15 acres with that finish mower because she likes how the Yanmar transmission works. I thought she would just finish mow the acre around the house with the Yanmar. There are lots of complains on TBN some from Kubota's and JD's new right out of the box, so I know it can happen to anyone with any machine. I like Yanmar and may go to Japan and walk into a dealer and buy a new tractor and ship it home. Well, you know me now.

HS

I agree with you on the brand new junk tractors. My uncle has a JD 4400 (now close to 10 yrs or so i guess) he bought new. There is no way that think will be functional at 30 yrs. Yanmar motor is still strong and starts up fast. Its the rest of the tractor thats junk. Pops out of 2 gears while underway in high range. Hood just decided to crack cause its plastic. He says sometimes the lift wont work right and it has 1200 hours.

Im a forester and deal with the logging end of the business. Showed up last week and one had a brand new Cat skidder, i knew they had a JD that was only a few years old. I asked if that was a loaner or did they buy it. He said its been one of those days and yes they bought it. On the tract they cut before this one, they had the main bearing in the grapple go out twice!! And the tract only took like 5-6 weeks total to cut. Both times was fixed under warrenty. (tractor only has about 5K hours) Then i asked what happend to it. He said they just got it back from having the rear diff explode and the axle shaft come out, for the second time, and then this AM the tranny was slipping in 3 gears so they called JD to come get it and had been working the deal on the Cat, so they just went and got it before the deal was even inked!! Talk about a lemon on a 2.5 yr old skidder. I have heard ones twice that age with half those problems.

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #32  
Why buy rebuilds ????????

Heck... we're buying Yanmars with 190 hrs and most of them have way under 1000 hrs on them, our last container had 5 machines with under 500 hrs on them.

Rebuilds are available in Japan, but we stay away from them, why buy Yanmars just to rebuild them when there are low hour machines for sale, unless you are buying the ones the other dealers wont touch.

In other words.... the junk....

Ernie

This has been brought up many times. Thats why folks just put seats on touch up paint if needed, change fluids new rubber hoses belts etc.

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #33  
I have not seen or aware of Yanmars being rebuilt in Japan. The reason for the low hour machines is that in Japan there are major tax brakes to buy new and not rebuild or buy used. So machines said to be rebuilt in Japan is a major red flag. Almost all the used tractors in Japan leave the country. Many go to places all over the world and Vietnam is a major place for rebuild for that market. Most of those stay in general region where that kind of farming and culture are similar, they grow rice. To understand why there are so many low hour machines in Japan you have to understand that every inch of land in Japan is under cultivation. A 12x12 concrete apartment patio in the US is under cultivation in Japan with a small family tractor. Like the used car market here where your machine was in Japan and what type of work it was doing who owned it and how it was taken care of are important and can not be confirmed. Much of the market is junk and can't be sold in USA. The reason for buying a rebuild! Many machines are very low hour, under 1000 is standard fair, and less then 500 is not uncommon. These units come from light work and were well taken care of by their owners in Japan. After rebuild they are very nice tractors. So now the justification, a rebuild Yanmar is about $4500, a new JD 740d is $12K. It really is a no brainer ones a real tractor the other is a riding lawn mower with a Yanmar engine anyway. A riding lawn mower at Lowe's can easy exceed $4500 and will not do half of what a small tractor like a Yanmar will do for you. So little Yanmar rebuilds will be around for a long time. When that JD mower is a rusted out **** box, the little Yanmar will still be mowing and tilling my garden.

HS

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #34  
Why buy rebuilds ????????

Heck... we're buying Yanmars with 190 hrs and most of them have way under 1000 hrs on them, our last container had 5 machines with under 500 hrs on them.

Rebuilds are available in Japan, but we stay away from them, why buy Yanmars just to rebuild them when there are low hour machines for sale, unless you are buying the ones the other dealers wont touch.

In other words.... the junk....

Ernie

Now that makes perfect sense to me also and if I had been aware of that when I was looking I may have ended up buying one of those I guarantee I would have researched it at least.

I had looked at newer used JD's etc but I still really liked the powershift on the 30 YO Yanmar and their diesel engine also has a bullet proof rep that was high on my list.

The "rebuilt" engine in mine made the hair stand up on my neck when I heard they had "gone thru it" with only 1319 hrs on it.

Nobody builds engines like they come from the factory I dont care who you are most shops just need to stay out of the engine business from my experience. It takes a real craftsman not a hack to make one live very long.

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #35  
Many machines are very low hour, under 1000 is standard fair, and less then 500 is not uncommon. These units come from light work and were well taken care of by their owners in Japan.HS

Not argueing on the value of a Yanmar even as a rebuilt unit.

I think Ernies point is even according to you there are many well taken care of units with less than 500 hours on them. Why would you rebuild these if there taken care of, no noises or smoke? If they want to fine, but why not just buy 1500-2000 hour machines for a little less as your gonna tear them apart anyhow?

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #36  
   / RCO or COLDWATER? #37  
I just have to ask this Ernie are the 3810D's available very often and what would the condition and hours be and obviously I like to know what would one cost now. thanks

Oh btw nice batch of tractors even have grill badges. :)

/ RCO or COLDWATER? #38  
I just have to ask this Ernie are the 3810D's available very often and what would the condition and hours be and obviously I like to know what would one cost now. thanks

Doc, 3810s are a little scarce in Japan, when buying the large yanmars we usually stick to the F - FX series machines. The largest YM we once had was a 4220 with a laser loader.
The large machines usually have quite a few hours on them cause they are mutually shared by the farmers and used to pull trailers ect.....
As far as dealer cost.... well..... pm me sometime :D:D:D

/ RCO or COLDWATER?
I am about to buy a ym2620 with a bulldog FEL plus a 4'bushhog. The tractor was refurbished. The guy I am buying it from has had it for 1 1/2 years. Wants $6000 for all. Runs good looks good. He has had no problems. But said it is a 1997 model and 29 hp, how can this be?