tractor hours

/ tractor hours #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a down payment on a fx26d that just came in and I have not seen it yet. My dealer called and told me it was not quite up the the level that they thought it would be. They also told me it has 2080 hours on it. My question is should I be afraid of a tractor with that many hours on it? The dealer has be nothing but honest with me so I really respect them for that. Just wondering about the hours mostly as I can always have them paint it. The tractors that I have nad/have the hour meter does not work (stopped at 3800) but I have had to replace the hydraulic pump, clutch etc on it. So will I have life left in this tractor at 2000 hours? $10,000 for the tractor,loader and quick attach pallet forks.

/ tractor hours #2  
That seems like an awful lot of hours, especially for an FX model. I believe I would wait for another tractor, or look elsewhere. there are plenty of Yanmars around with under 1000 hours, or check out a new Branson for just a little more money.

/ tractor hours #3  
I wouldn’t be afraid of the hours as much as the $ per hp. 2K more and you into a new JD. Not as fancy as an FX but brand new. We have plenty of tractors at the Ranch with three times as many hours but at about 3000 you’re into all the high ware items like, starters, alt and water pump, none of which are that expensive to rebuild. Most Items like bearings and gears will be fine but you will be into the clutch soon. Engine will be fine for at least 3000 more hours and if the guy who had it before you took good care of it and ran it under load for long periods every time it was started it will have a much longer life.

/ tractor hours #4  
swordguy
My FX24-D has 2209 hrs. on it and it runs great.
I rubbed out the paint on it then waxed it 2x yrs. ago
People look at it and you would think they are droolin.
But I have never had any major problems, yet I change the fluids and filters regularly. (I baby the thing)
I have moved over 250 yds. of soil with it and it still runs like a champ. The koyker 150 loader is wonderful.
although if someone offered me the right price I would sell it.
Ern. <>< /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tractor hours #5  
EFC,
why would a tractor run "under a load" be more likely to last longer that one run, not under a load? thanks, bw

/ tractor hours #6  
Brett,

I think Buck means that the tractor was started and used for an extended period of time rather than being started and ran for only a few minutes. We all know that cold starting is a bad wear time. People used to think that if they bought the car that was only driven to church on Sunday then they had a great deal. Experience says otherwise.

Thanks,
Bruce

/ tractor hours #7  
Perhaps you are right, but to me it sounds like I need to be plowing, tilling, lifting , or pulling something in order to help my tractor stay healthy. Yea or Nea? bw

/ tractor hours #8  
Tx Swordguy,

Buy a Branson 3510, It's a better designed tractor, better cockpit, more room, 3 yr warranty and just more fun. It will cost you somewhere around $14,000 for the same setup as the yanmar you described. I have had mine for 4 months now and love it. The Owners manual is two inches thick with large text and diagrams.

David Blankenship
Gainesville, Fl

/ tractor hours #9  
Bruce, is right, a diesel that is started then ran for 10 hours on every cold start will run five times longer than a diesel that is ran for 10 min for every cold start. When I say under load that means at a consistent RPM and not deadheading. Diesels are designed for extended duty under load (designed to run in a certain temp range) by their nature they will idle themselves cold when they cool down (because they have no load to build heat) they wear out quicker. Most owners start their tractor then zip here and there, rpm’s going from 800 to 1500 constantly, the block is going to heat up and cool down then heat up and cool down that causes significantly more wear long term. Once the block gets up to temperature (under load) and stays there then there is very little wear. Another problem is most owners are afraid to run them at there intended rpm (usually 2200 to 2400 RPM). Hp and torque values are recorded at the working rpm and below that they drop off considerably. I hear people say all the time that they run at 1800 rpm so they will last longer. In actuality you are shortening its life span. It is working much harder at that rpm than at rated rpm. People will shop for months and go through great pain to get one more blessed hp only to go home and run them at 50% (or even less) duty cycle. Diesels are very hardy and it is not uncommon to see a gen set that runs 24-7 with 10,000 hours on the meter, that will never happen with the average homeowner tractor. Not a big deal though you will still get twice the lifespan of a gas. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ tractor hours #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not a big deal though you will still get twice the lifespan of a gas. )</font>

Bsasphemy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some of us 9N / 2N / 8N owners would argue that point /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Think of all the 1939 N's that are running with no rebuild...
My 52 8N is still kicking good.
Many farmers are still haying with older gas powered iron instead of smaller deisel compacts.

Though I do love my deisel compact /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SouNdguy