Gauges/Meters

/ Gauges/Meters #1  

Anonymous Poster

In reference to a YM1500.

Can the idiot lights for temp and oil pressure be replaced directly with gauges? If not, what is the procedure if any?

Where can I obtain a new RPM/Hour meter combo gauge?

Based on reply from another thread, I will install an over running clutch. Will the driveshaft need to be shortened on a 4 foot shredder?

/ Gauges/Meters #2  
I see from your profile you have a 4 ft brush hog. If that is the shredder you mentioned, you probably will have to shorten the drive shaft. I took about 6 to 7 inches off mine. You need to make sure the shaft will let you raise the implement to its highest position.

I am interested in what you find out about temp and oil pressure gauges. Mine needs them too. I have been looking for inexpensive gauges that will stand up to weather.

Good luck

reb

/ Gauges/Meters #4  
Thanks for the info.
You have a good looking installation. As soon as I can get enough of the wife's honeydew list cleared out I will see if I can do something similar with mine.

reb

/ Gauges/Meters
I have installed a Sunpro mechanical oil pressure gauge on my YM 1500. What is the oil pressure supposed to be? Mine is indicating almost 40 psi. the lowest it has read is 32 psi. Is this normal? It seems like that is a bit high, but the engine runs well and there are no leaks...Except...

When I removed the idiot light sensor, there was no "teflon tape" or other sealer apparent. I installed the metric adapter and then the engine fitting into the adapter. I completed the installation and fired her up. Everything appeared to be working well. However, there is a small oil leak between the adapter and the engine fitting. (1 or 2 drips per minute).

Question: Is the "ferrule", which fits into the engine fitting and held on by the hex nut a "one shot deal"? If not, should I remove it and use teflon tape? I was under the impression that these pressure fittings were a one time only deal.

/ Gauges/Meters #6  
The oil system has a pressure relief valve which is normally set to somewhere around 40psi. If you have 32psi when the eingine is fully warm then that is very good. I wouldn't be at all concerned.

DO NOT use teflon tape to seal the leak. Get some of the liquid teflon stuff. Teflon tape can get into the oil system and plug small passages. I cannot visualize your "ferrule" etc. so its difficult to give you any advice, but I doubt its a "one shot deal". Its already leaking, so the worst you can do is fix one leak and create another.