Original brochures

/ Original brochures #1  

284 International

Veteran Member
Tractor
International Harvester 284
In another thread, Scotty Dive posted some information about the original loaders on some Yanmar tractors. He sent me some scans of brochures he has made. I've posted them here on my photobucket site.

There are brochures for the GT14, YM169, YM180/187, YM220/226, YM276/336, and a Brantly Backhoe, with a couple pages from a Yanmar 650/656 hoe as well.

Scotty Dive gave me permission to post these, so I converted them from .pdf to .jpg, and now they're available to whomever may find a use for them. Again, they are not mine, but he agreed to let me share.

Thanks, Scotty Dive! :thumbsup:

/ Original brochures #2  
Cool - Now you will have to tell me how you converted them from pdf to jpg!

/ Original brochures
I used the online file conversion service Zamzar.

I hope they're useful to people.

Some interesting observations in the little bit I've glanced through them: The YM169 has a tremendous 3 point lift on it. It's rated, according to the brochure (which I don't really trust), to lift only 66 lbs less than the much bigger YM226, and only a few hundred pounds less than the brawny YM276.

It's rated to lift more than my YM186D, the next size up, with a notoriously strong lift. I see the 169 has the same pump as a 1610.

If people are willing to contribute, I'll start compiling a table of hydraulic pump capacities of each model, since that seems to come up regularly.

/ Original brochures
With all the hydraulic projects going on, and with some scheming for my own plans in the works, I thought maybe we can start a list of pump flow ratings as actually mounted on the tractor. I read this information off my tractors. I took the following information about displacement per revolution off the data plate on each pump, and calculated the flow at rated engine speed using 1 gallon = 3780 cc.

YM1401D: 4cc/revolution 2.75 GPM at 2600 engine RPM (Interesting, because the replacement part calls for the same pump as the YM186 series, with 75% (!!!) more flow)

YM186D: 7cc/revolution 4.8 GPM at 2600 engine RPM (Agrees with brochure)

YM2000: 7cc/revolution 4.4 GPM at 2400 engine RPM

YM240: As YM2000 ( Other sources mention a high volume, 9cc/revolution pump as being an available option, giving a flow of 5.7 GPM at 2400 RPM.)

YM240D: As YM2000

Taken from sales brochures:

YM140/147: 3.4 GPM at 2600 engine RPM 5CC/revolution

YM180/187: As 186D

/ Original brochures #5  
OK 284, here is what is on my ym2002d pump. Kanzaki pump, model gp1c10csp, mfg no.2A0020, pressure 160kg/cm2, discharge 10cc/rev. For what it is worth department the 2002d has power steering. According to my parts book the correct part # for this pump is 194361-41120. Not sure about conversions, am I correct that the pressure is 2277psi? Am I correct thinking at 2400 rpm the pump should put out about 6.34gpm? I appreciate you undertaking this task.

/ Original brochures #6  
RE: Hydraulic pumps

Does anyone know what our mounting face is? or have pictures of one they have pulled. I would love to upgrade my pump and would like to look for all possible options....

I have a 1602D with a Kanzaki GP1-C-5 which is 5cc/rev or about 3.3gpm at 2400.

/ Original brochures #7  
Very cool brochures! I have never seen a 169D so clean! :laughing: I see they offered them with a FEL, also good to know. :thumbsup:

/ Original brochures #8  
I have the sales flyer from the 186D that I have, I will try to scan it and send it to you in the next couple of days if you wan't it.

/ Original brochures
Pete, that sounds good. I already have one posted here though. If it's different, I'd love to see it. It's also possible that it was updated over time, or is from an earlier version (the tractor I have is a floor shift, and the one in the brochure is a dashboard/column shift).

/ Original brochures #10  
Some interesting observations in the little bit I've glanced through them: The YM169 has a tremendous 3 point lift on it. It's rated, according to the brochure (which I don't really trust), to lift only 66 lbs less than the much bigger YM226, and only a few hundred pounds less than the brawny YM276.

It's rated to lift more than my YM186D, the next size up, with a notoriously strong lift. I see the 169 has the same pump as a 1610.

If people are willing to contribute, I'll start compiling a table of hydraulic pump capacities of each model, since that seems to come up regularly.

You have to be careful comparing lift capabilities - or any specifications - from compact tractor market of the 1970s and 1980s. This was a period where a lot of Japanese tractor manufacturers were vying for the the US compact tractor market. Most of them were publishing advertisements playing fast and loose with specifications. Specs printed in advertisements of the time were often different than the ones printed in their own technical manuals. The advertised numbers were "true" but were also deliberately deceptive since they required a special non-standard interpretation of how these things are measured. HP, loader, and three point lifting specs were favorites. Some Japanese machines were tested at Nebraska and this resulted in an industry outcry. To Yanmar's credit, they were one of the first to publish amended figures. The YM186/187D just might be my favorite ever tractor and the correction to the YM186D specs is in their service bulletin T-020 sent to dealers and dated July 2, 1981. In the service bulletin the advertised lifting capacity for that model was reduced by 38% in order to "select the correct liftable implement". Corrections to other models followed, but I don't know if they ever got around to the later models such as the YM169D. The YM186D correction wasn't all that public or easy to find. And interestingly, Yanmar couldn't resist taking a swipe at the competition in a note appended to the service bulletin.
Enjoy! rScotty