Will not crank

/ Will not crank #1  

lott1057

Tractor
Yanmar 2000
It has been a while since I was a mechanic. My Ynamar 2000 will not crank. The motor will not turn over at all. Battery is charged. When I take a screwdriver and cross the post on the solenoid it will crank. Does that mean it is my key switch that is bad or the solenoid that is bad?

/ Will not crank #2  
you will need to check the terminals with a volt meter or test light to see where you have lost power to the starter

/ Will not crank #3  
Have you checked all the fuses...and the master fuse???? My yanmar built JD870 had a 60 amp main fuse just above the starter

/ Will not crank #4  
Don't forget to check the safety switches. I hopped on my 336D today and it wouldn't crank. After sitting for a minute wondering "what now?!".. I realized I forgot to press in the clutch.

I know mine has a safety on the PTO shift and the clutch pedal. There may be more or less on yours. If it just up and stopped cranking, safety switches are a likely cause in my book. If it stopped cranking in the middle of turning over I'd look at other things, like the solenoid.

/ Will not crank
It was working fine. I turned it off to do some other work, and when I went back to crank it there was nothing. As, I said, I can take a screwdriver and touch the two bolts on the solenoid and it will crank and run fine. If it was a safety swith or a fuse, it would not be able to do that would it?

/ Will not crank #6  
The screwdriver trick bypasses everything. It is the same as wiring the battery directly to the starter. As a test it only determines the starter and battery are working correctly.

A multi meter will help you check the safety switches are engaging. They short out when engaged.

You can determine if the problem is switch related by testing for 12v at the first safety while turning the switch. If no 12v there you may have a blown fuse or (extremely rare) a bad switch.

/ Will not crank #7  
as already mentioned be sure the battery lead ends are clean and have good contact, also be sure to remove / clean the ground terminal and clean where it attach駸 to the frame, when I say clean I mean to wire brush the frame to bare metal, if rust has developed it can cause a weak contact, I've owned my tractor for a bit over 2 years now and had the same problem with not starting on 2 occasions, traced the problem back to the ground wire to the frame, Not saying this is your tractors problem but should at least check it,;)
Good luck:thumbsup:

/ Will not crank #8  
It will start by crossing the starter even if the fuse is blown, as you have bypassed the normal method of starting. It can and most likely is either a fuse or the safety switchs as noted.

I had same issue with my main fuse (could still jump start it). A neighbor had issue with his seat switch causing the issue.

/ Will not crank
It was my clutch safety switch. Thanks