Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D

Default Re: New to me 186d

I would agree, definitely not twins w/ the 650, just a little family resemblance.

Yes, the overrun clutch is what makes the racheting racket.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by ssg510 View Post
    My pto macks a loud clicking sound when i press the clutch after the rear pto driven mower is running. Guess that is the clutch.
    Yep. It's exactly the same as when you stop pedaling on a bicycle and coast for a while (but beefier gears).

Tractor
    YM226D

Quote Originally Posted by ssg510
    Thanks. Just been messing with the tractor a little. It smokes some and when under a load. Wonder what I can do to clear it up a little? what wheels and tires do you have.
    Smoke under a load is normal, I'f it's excessive try running seafoam in your fuel, that will clean it up, what color is the smoke?
    YM226D w/YFL800 Loader

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoody View Post
    Smoke under a load is normal, I'f it's excessive try running seafoam in your fuel, that will clean it up, what color is the smoke?
    Smoke is mostly white. Mainly under load but a little when running.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCByrd24 View Post
    They JD 650 has some other differences too if you look at pics, but it is the closest I've seen.

My tires are the narrow diamond tread turfs. 6-12 front and 9.5-16 rear. I've actually never uploaded pics of mine, here it is.
    JC Nice little tractor. What kind of Loader are you using on it. Im going to get a fel when I can.

Tractor
    YM226D

Quote Originally Posted by ssg510

Smoke is mostly white. Mainly under load but a little when running.
    Get some seafoam and run through it, seafoam will clean the carbon out the engine and remove any moisture in your fuel, The smoking may get worst initially as the seafoam cleans, smoke will be white.
    YM226D w/YFL800 Loader

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by ssg510 View Post
    JC Nice little tractor. What kind of Loader are you using on it. Im going to get a fel when I can.
    Thanks it was quite a find. The loader is a Yanmar YFL-650, it was the dealer installed option. You can't get these new anymore so you'd probably be looking for one of the aftermarket companies.

Here is a pic with the loader on, you can see it needs cleaning up and fresh paint, but functionally it's perfect. This was prior to painting the wheels obviously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -02-02-11-072-jpg  

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCByrd24 View Post
    Thanks it was quite a find. The loader is a Yanmar YFL-650, it was the dealer installed option. You can't get these new anymore so you'd probably be looking for one of the aftermarket companies.

Here is a pic with the loader on, you can see it needs cleaning up and fresh paint, but functionally it's perfect. This was prior to painting the wheels obviously.
    Wow. The paint job is nice. Did you do it, and did you find all the correct decals etc. Thinking about painting mine in the future.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D

I actually just painted the wheels. The tractor is all original, decals and all, pretty amazing for a 30 yr old tractor. The loader frame I know was made in the US or Canada for US yanmar dealers, and it was either different paint or just lived outside most it's life, it's got fading that couldn't be fixed with wax. I plan to take it all part and paint.

P.S. Yours looks as good as mine, I wouldn't bother painting it!

Edit: I lied, the headlight surround was broken when I got it, so I put a new one in and painted it and the grill as well...

Silver Member

Well I spent some time washing and cleaning the tractor then took some more photos along with my other two yanmars. A 1401d I picked up last spring and a 135d. My father in law wants the 1401d so I think it has a new home. I like both tractors but the 186 seems a bit more substantial and I like the turf tire set up. Ill be adding a fel when I can figure out which one to get. Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -010-jpg   -005-jpg   -007-jpg   -002-jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast