Chains is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains?

/ is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains? #1  

BC Dave

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM180D
:confused2:

is it possible to make tractor chains for 12.4 X 16 tires from tansport truck tire chains?

Has anyone sucesfully done this? or am I wasting my time?

I picked up some used what looked like V bar chain at a logging truck repair place; the mechanic mentioned they were "duplex chains" for "dulies" I understood ...

please advise with any enlightment; the plan was to cut them down; but I didn't have time to give this a good look before I left the remote location where the tractor is located.

it would be :cool: to have chains soon ...

/ is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains?
...ok... 2nd try ....has anyone tried this?

.... seems like it should work ...

/ is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains? #3  
I plane on building some from truck chains but have not yet done it.

A tractor buddie of mine has though, many different sets.
And he has not had any prob w/ them
Ill get ahold of him sometime and get some pointers from him b4 i start and get back to you.

/ is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains? #4  
I plan on doing it myself, as tire chains can be had at yard sales around here for 50 cents to a buck for a pair. A set of bolt cutters, and the welder and vise to put several sets together looks pretty simple. I would like to do this before the first snow, so I can work a little more safely.

/ is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains? #5  
careful cutting the chains w/ bolt cutters they are hardened and will probably ruin your bolt cutters
put the link you want to cut in a vice and use a cresent wrench and twist and they will usually break.

careful cutting the chains w/ bolt cutters they are hardened and will probably ruin your bolt cutters
put the link you want to cut in a vice and use a cresent wrench and twist and they will usually break.

humph ... good to know!; ponter #1; thanks ...

/ is it possible to make 12.4X16 tire chains from truck chains? #7  
EMB, I use a angle grinder with cutoff wheel, with the link in the vice, but I will try just snapping the link the next time.

so ... long-story-short ... got "triplex" truck chains given to me ... asked a neighbour to borrow some chain pliers; he used to drive logging trucks ... explained I wanted to cut down truck chains; he says OH; I could use those and whay dont you have these I made for a school bus :thumbsup:... I say great; will they fit; he - no; but I'll cut em down for you :thumbsup:... 1/2 hour I was away with my new trade :D... chains were 18" wide; truck chains were only 12" wide so may have been a little narrow for the 12.4X16 tractor tires anyway:p ... happy he could use them and even happeier to have chains in 1/2 an hour ... LMAO!!!:D

Last edited: