Off road diesel - How do you find locations?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I don't burn a lot of diesel - but I have to admit, its alway a challenge for me to find any diesel - and I was wondering how can I find a source of off road diesel - might actually be more convenience for me and save me a few bucks. Google comes up with nothing.....do I just go to a heating oil place and ask for #2 heating oil?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #2  
I go pick mine up at a bulk plant check with farmers or a construction co. in you area or look in the yellow pages

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #3  
Home heating Oil (hho) Is the same as off road. In some rare cases it may still be LSD instead of ULSD but even better for you if so. Dont get hung up on the sulfer content though, just add something for lubricity, i wont get into the argument over that, some use trans fluid, power stroke, or 2stroke. So yes you can just go to an oil company and buy it from them, they usually have Offroad as well, and sometimes there is a different price even though its the same product. Ive been told HHO is more as they anticipate dragging a hose to the tank, while offroad is in a place where equiptment can be driven to thus all they do is pull up and fill it up. But when i called a place Offroad was more :confused2: even though i said to them "its the same thing", she responded yes and said the 2 different prices? :confused2:

Anyway, if you have to drive all over to find OFFroad or HHO your just as well off buying deisel at any pump. The price of fuel these days if you cant just stop by on the way somewhere its not worth the effort to go out of your way to save $.25-.35 / gallon. I have the last 2 times gotten onroad as the offroad place was not close or either closed. If your putting it in your yanmar you can go through what 5 gallons a weekend? Maybe 30 a year if your using it a lot! Or do you have other offroad deisel applications?

So my point if you can find a local close or HHO company near you fill up some old hydro buckets and cans to last you a few months or just go to the onroad pump.

A tip is find an area that has loggers and go to the local family owned gas station they will most of the time have it, but there the ones that are higher so you may only save .20 over buying deisel at say a racetrac or other cheap station in your area.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #4  
Most commercial fuel company's sell it in our neck of the woods. We have a local company Wilcox and Fleigal that sells off road diesel. Just don't get caught with the red stuff in any road vehicles. Very pricey ticket if you get caught. It's much cheaper than regular diesel......I just don't use enough to make it convenient.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #5  
I go pick mine up at a bulk plant check with farmers or a construction co.
1*in you area or look in the yellow pages
1*Look under diesel and or HHO as they are likely the same thing and can/could be listed either or both ways.

I don't burn a lot of diesel - but I have to admit, its alway a challenge for me to find any diesel - and I was wondering how can I find a source of off road diesel - might actually be more convenience for me and save me a few bucks. Google comes up with nothing.....do I just go to a heating oil place and ask for #2 heating oil?
Just ask for home heating oil or off road diesel or dyed diesel since they are all the same thing.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations?
Thanks for the replies.

I don't use all that much fuel, but we don't have too many stations around here that sell diesel - and I work from home so I don't get out much - lol... and when I do a tend not to have my 5 gallon diesel jerry jug. I figured if there were more sources for diesel it would increase my chances of finding a location nearby.

On top of that...with the recent storms we have had here in the Northeast, I have been thinking of storing a larger amount of fuel. If I could get my hands on a 30 or 50 gallon fuel tank - I was thinking I could go fill up with off road and be all set for quite awhile. Too bad they don't sell off road gasoline as I am thinking of doing the same thing with gas to feed the generator when a storm is coming.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #7  
Scotty, talk with your tax person for you may find the best method is to file for tax refund on the road taxes. As to storing the diesel fuel that has it own issues. Diesel fuel needs to be used and not just sit there. It will gunk up on you. Have to think there are more places who sell diesel and off road than you may think unless you are in a city then doubt you will find off road.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #8  
get a 55 gallon barrel from somewhere that had like gear oil or bulk oil in it. Get a hand crank pump and then fill with deisel and anti gel it will last years! But like said you can file for the tax back for on and off road deisel. Likely you dont use enough to warrent the work. I do my own taxes and dont even consider the boat fuel as a source to get my taxes back to me not worth the record keeping and extra sheet for $10-25 or so. Your likely the same unless you use say 100gals in that gen of yours?

And where do you live? I know Ct but even in the cities around here unless your really "downtown" you can easily find deisel, country stations in the rural areas have it at about every other one. I bet there more you just dont notice as you have not had your tractor and a need as long for fuel. There are plenty of deisel cars adn trucks that have to fuel up somewhere? I had an old deisel mercedes years ago and at first was a pain as you could not just pull up anyhwere, but once you learned where fuel was it was all over the place and on the road almost like i said all the highway stations have it and most rural ones have it at every other one it seems. After all its the fuel that runs us!

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #9  
I can't find it every where. But, there are several places around me that sells off road. If you are in the country. Some farmers should be able to tell you where to get it

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #10  
I buy off road diesel from a farm store about 8 miles away. Saves me about 50 cents a gallon. The local fuel company will deliver 50 gallons or more. I use so little that I just carry 2 5 gallon yellow jerry cans in the back of the truck when I head that direction, I then dump them into a 55 gallon drum with a pump and use it that way. I have found that with my health, that trying to balance with a 5 gallon can on the tractor to fill it is not easy, but having the wife run the pump, and I the nozzle, I don't get any diesel anywhere but in the tractor tank.