1802D wont turn over

/ 1802D wont turn over #1  

ket1954

Tractor
yanmar 1802D
II cant get my 1802D to turn over/start. I replaced battery and it still does nothing other than dim dash red lights.
tractor was running just fine, I stopped, shut it down , for about 5 min. got nothing when I tried to restart it. :(
I install a different battery and still nothing.
how does safty switch under clutch pedal work, does it make or break circuit.

is there a fuse of relay that can be checked or that goes bad, can it be bypassed to ghet tractor started and into garage to work on.

what are my best bets for quick repair. i paln on replacing both battery cables this week. positive side first.

/ 1802D wont turn over #2  
The safety switch on the clutch breaks the circuit but I doubt that is your problem if your dash lights are dimming. You probably have two plugs on the wires right above your clutch switch. You can disconnect those and plug them together and bypass the clutch switch. Sounds like a starter problem. I would take a screwdriver and go between two big terminals on the starter. Make sure tractor is in neutral, be safe doing this. You should see a little fire fly when you do this. If not, you might have a loose or bad wire.

/ 1802D wont turn over #3  
On my F18D, if i try to start without the clutch pedal depressed, the dash lights do dim as if the battery is dead.

/ 1802D wont turn over
I tried jumping between the 2 large post on starter, I don't even get a spark,
handling positive wire from battery to starter it almost seems like wire is cut or eroded away, but plastic on outside is OK.
I will make some jumper for safety switch bypass just to check it

how much do starters cost .

can any auto parts store do a standard starter test with yanmar starter or does it take special equipment

Last edited:
   / 1802D wont turn over #5  
and don't forget to check the ground connection to the frame, be sure it is clean with a good solid contact,

/ 1802D wont turn over #6  
Here is one price on a starter and all starters may not be created equal. If you are getting no spark at the starter you need to check voltage with volt meter positive lead on the positive lead coming from battery at the starter and negative lead of volt meter on the starter body someplace. Should get 12+ volts there. If not, you have a bad wire or connection. Could be positive or negative. Not good with words, hope that makes sense. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merc...oduct_Code=SM-3110&Category_Code=1802ELECTRIC

/ 1802D wont turn over
makes perfect sense, I am off work for at least a week with disability so I will spend what time I can working on tractor.

I don't know much about a tractor but I am able to rebuild my Bridgeport mill with out any major problems, go figure

/ 1802D wont turn over
I have clean post and connectors, I have not made it to town yet to get replacement cables, I am betting on positive cable being bad.

/ 1802D wont turn over #10  
Did you remove the ground cable from the FRAME and sand/grind it clean? That was my problem.