Advice on a Yanmar 1600

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
I am thinking about buying a Yanmar 1600, I have never owned a Yanmar, this is from an individual and tractor looks and runs good, looks like Hoye tractor has parts for this, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, what is an average price on this,

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #2  
I believe the 1600 shares a lot of parts with the 2000 and 1700. Maybe just a little smaller bore. Don't know why the 1600 doesn't show on this list. Whats my Yanmar tractor worth? If you go somewhere between the 1500 and 1700 that might give you a ballpark figure to look at. Good luck in your quest.:thumbsup:

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #3  
When I sold Yanmars, the 1600 was one to stay away from. It may have changed, but be very careful.

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #4  
When I sold Yanmars, the 1600 was one to stay away from. It may have changed, but be very careful.

Could you elaborate on that a little more? What were the problems with them? :confused: After doing a search of the 1600 I see a lot of threads warning against buying a 1600. Still wondering just what it is about them that is undesirable. Seems to me parts are readily available.

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #5  
Hi :)
my YM1600 is a champ :)
paid $2,200.00 from an individual
the YM1600 is considered an 'Orphan' of Gray Market models because of parts availability (Hoye Tractor has parts) and low numbers imported (i read they were container fillers for import shipments)
had mine for 3+ years now, 500+ hours seat time
only problem has been fixing a leaking cooling system (radiator soldered, new top hose and 1 gasket)
would I buy another = Yes

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #6  
The 1600 is just as good as any of the other Yanmars. It just has several parts that are slightly different than the other similar tractors (1700, 2000, etc). For example they use the "same" 2wd spindle as the 1700 but the hub cap may not go back on because the nut sticks out too far on some tractors and is in the way. Also, things like the radiator hoses are not currently available - completely different than any other Yanmar. You would need to match something at an auto parts store. It is typically just small issues like that. Overall parts availability is good though.

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600
Thanks for all the input. Owner may be a bit high, we are still negotiating

/ Advice on a Yanmar 1600 #8  
Find a part that is very hard to find and tell him if he can get one you will give him his price. If not he takes yours.

If 2200 is a good price I don't think we will ever get together, he's got some eq, still puts his tractor around 3200 to 3300,

A buddy of mine just bought a 1702 and its a nice running tractor, he gave 2k for it.