Yanmar Tach and hour meter

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter #1  

ajsmolik

Tractor
Yanmar FX24D
My dad and I just bought a FX24D - 883 hours on the meter, but the tach ( and presumably hour-meter) doesn't work. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Bad tach? Wiring? Unhooked? Also, can't figure out what the switches on the 'UFO control' do. Any thoughts appreciated.

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter #2  
UFO controls are used by the tiller to automatically maintain depth. It's been the only implement that I have found that uses it, & even then I never hooked mine up. I have since caught and ripped the tiller controls off so it's no longer usable. I do use the tilt control all the time for leveling any of the implements I have attached.

Bummer about the tach. Mine works and I use it to set speed for implements. FX24D is a great tractor

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter #3  
I thought the UFO was an automatic system to level the tiller so that the rice field would be a constant depth.

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter #4  
The cable of your tach is probably broken. If you can get to the back side of the tach and remove the fitting that holds the cable on you should find a cable that is more like a long tight spring. Carefully pull the spring out of the outer shroud and inspect it. A broken cable it the most common cause for a broken tach. LenS can probably fix you up with a new one.

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter #5  
I took one out and welded it . sanded on it a bit, put it back in the liner and that was over 100 hrs. ago .
That was on an FX24-d
Poor mans repair job !!

Ernie. <><

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter
Thanks for all the info. Tilt function works well, at least. I'll try to diagnose the tach problem and get back to you on what I find.

/ Yanmar Tach and hour meter #7  
Well Ernie you are not alone. I thought I was the only guy so cheap as to weld a tach cable. It takes some patience, but it can be done.