whats the difference between wet and dry brakes?

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Any pros and cons?

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #2  
IMO I'll pass on the wet. With the Brake Shaft Boot and all the Wooded acres my property They wouldn't stand a chance for long without a Trans. Hyd. Leak. My Guess Yanmar was trying to keep them lubricated with the Hyd. fluid to prevent them from rusting up:confused: Got Me!!!

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #3  
dry brakes are on cars and trucks,trailer etc, disc and drums exsposed to air

wet brakes are mounted internally, in the differential, sealed so that haha haha water doesn't affect them. my kawasaki teryx has wet brakes in the rear,so when you drive through water fast then try to stop the brakes still work.

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #4  
It seems they only done it on a very few models. There was a reason for it I'm sure. But my guess is it wasn't a very good one.:p

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #5  
According to Aaron with Hoyes they are on all 02 and 20 series tractors. He also stated they are very durable as he has never been asked for parts for them. He said new parts might be hard to find but said used parts would be plentiful. Here is a picture of them on my 2002d. Changed 2 boots on mine where the rod goes into the housing. As Carey stated, going through heavy brush can be a hazard on those. Yanmar Tractor Parts: BRAKE ROD BOOT_ You can see they are pricy. I have never driven a Yanmar with drum brakes so I have no idea how they compare as far as usage. I can tell you the wet disc brakes work very well.

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 1,352
   / whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #6  
Just my $0.02: Somebody posted long ago that there was an optional wet brake kit for YM2000, and some dealer replied that he had seen only one like that. So if you ever hear of one, they're real. Just real rare.

I don't know what the advantage is. Maybe longer brake life if you handle a heavy trailer on pavement in mountainous terrain? Maybe a lot of brake-assisted tight turns? Anybody know?

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #7  
dry brakes are on cars and trucks,trailer etc, disc and drums exsposed to air

wet brakes are mounted internally, in the differential, sealed so that haha haha water doesn't affect them. my kawasaki teryx has wet brakes in the rear,so when you drive through water fast then try to stop the brakes still work.

My 1945 Oliver 60 has those type of brakes, mounted on the differential rather than on the rear axle.

DSCF0052 (Small).JPG

The brakes are forward of the rear axle under the circular shaped cover
IMG_0424 (Small).JPG

The brakes are band-type units that grip the drum from the outside when you hit the brake pedal.

IMG_0626 (Small).JPGIMG_0627 (Small).JPG

The band linings were pretty worn and oil-soaked (failed seal on the brake axle shaft). Had to rivet new linings onto the bands and replace the seals. That job was not difficult since access to this type of brake is excellent.

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #8  
Now its got me to wondering, On a ford 1720 can anyone tell me if this is wet or a dry brake inside a houseing? thanks I had thought it was 'wet' but now that I see there are 'dry' ones with similar setups its got me to wondering

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #9  
Now its got me to wondering, On a ford 1720 can anyone tell me if this is wet or a dry brake inside a houseing? thanks I had thought it was 'wet' but now that I see there are 'dry' ones with similar setups its got me to wondering

Here's one type of wet brake design used on heavy equipment

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvCYBUOtKrk]Wet Brake - YouTube[/ame]

/ whats the difference between wet and dry brakes? #10  
Wet brakes are similar to what most motorcycles use for a clutch.

They last much longer than standard dry brakes (ie drums and disc) The major upside is a lot less maintenance and they are a bit more rugged. The down side is that if they do need changed or serviced the cost is much greater due to the complexity of the assemblies.