Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #1  

capt1989

Tractor
Yanmar ym2000
I spent 4 days, working off and on, building a sub-frame to mount the backhoe to tractor. This is a heavy backhoe. One of the reasons it took so long is that I have a (15 months old today) grand son that demanded I spend time with him every time I went inside. I didn't mind. You grandpas and paw paws know what I am talking about. Another is that I have never built anything like this before and was taking my time, being careful, measuring 4 times, thinking to much about what I was fixing to do, then cutting once and re-thinking to much again, welding, second guessing, adding another pass with the welder etc...

I used about 20 feet of 4 inch channel for the main body of the sub-frame with a few little pieces of scrap steel I had laying around to reinforce it. Also used a couple of sections of 2 inch pipe to weld the upper part (where the top link goes) to the subframe. I was concerned about the structural integrity of the sub-frame, due to my welder, so it is built like a tank. After using it today to dig up 3 stumps, I am no longer worried if it will hold up. It is an amazingly stout design that comes off the tractor by removing 4 bolts. I took the fenders off temporarily to make it easier to do all this and will remount them later.

Thanks go to dfkrug, a member of this forum. Without his excellent and informative post in the "build it yourself forum" this project would never have been attempted. Here is the link to the post.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/171760-how-build-your-own-custom.html

I want to mention 2 things. 1st, I have run my tractor on used vegetable oil that I strained through a vacuum cleaner bag (cheap 1 micron or less filtration) for the last 2 days with no apparent ill effects other than on a cold morning I have to shoot just a small amount of ether to get it to start. After the engine is warm it will start with no problem and a bonus is that the exhaust smells like fried turkey. 2nd, this entire project was put together with a $179.00 harbor freight (bought 3 years ago) dual mig/gasless 220 volt/105 amp wire welder. Take that however you want. I have not had a single problem with this welder the entire time I have owned it.

On to the pics.

Thanks for looking.

capt.

Attachments

• IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 468
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 548
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 316
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 314
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 622
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 463
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 447
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 467
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 402
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    730.3 KB · Views: 292
   / Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #2  
Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking I see the pump in the first picture. Does that have a bracket or something to hook to your pto? Your an ingenius fellow, I remember your wheel weight thread.

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe
Good morning winston1,

The pump bracket assembly and pto to pump shaft coupler was included with the backhoe. Once assembled the bracket fits between the lifting arms of the 3 point hitch, no bolts to mess with. Thanks for looking.

capt.

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #5  
If it works to your liking , that's all that counts. Good job.:thumbsup: I would like to have a BH .but, I use my tractor fot 2 many things. Maybe another tractor with BH.:D. O' be careful with the either. It wouldn't be good to have a new BH with a blown up tractor engine

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #6  
WHat Loader do you have on your tractor? Mine looks very similar save for it says A1 where yours says V2.

Also interested in installing a back hoe. Is yours Hydro drive or PTO driven? Also did your sub-frame build impair your 3PH use?

I have a YM1700 with front loader I am interested in outfitting with a BH

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #7  
Never mind the PTO drivenn question. I se it was answered in another comment.

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #8  
[Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe]

...fenders off temporarily to make it easier ...

... I have run my tractor on used vegetable oil that I strained through a vacuum cleaner bag (cheap 1 micron or less filtration) for the last 2 days with no apparent ill effects other than on a cold morning I have to shoot just a small amount of ether

... 2nd, this entire project was put together with a $179.00 harbor freight (bought 3 years ago) dual mig/gasless 220 volt/105 amp wire welder. Take that however you want. I have not had a single problem with this welder ...

On to the pics.

Thanks for looking.

capt.
Captain, I have a bunch of questions. :)

How does that [Jinma] LW6 hoe work on that tractor? Does it dig ok, drag the tractor all around, operate smoothly and without breaking down? Does it seem too heavy to drive around with? What's its practical, productive depth?

Did you get the fenders back on?

That's a great idea to strain biofuel through a vacuum cleaner bag. How is that working out long term? I bought a 20 gallon batch of refined (supposedly) restaurant grease and it seemed to make the YM240 harder and harder to start when I ran it B100. What's your experience?

I keep looking at HF's current version of your welder, now model 180. What do you think about these, are they worth ~ $260 when they go on sale? Did you use FC or gas for that project?

And thanks for posting that excellent description of your project!

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #9  
Nice job on the bh project! Those can be so handy and save a guy so much money its not funny. Plus all the stuff you can dream up to do now! :thumbsup:

/ Ym2000 meets LW6 backhoe #10  
Captain, good looking mount, every bit as strong as the mount on a my jd970 for the #8backhoe. One concern though. I notice you have attached to the cross brace on your rear FEL mount. This mount is bolted to the bell housing with 4 bolts. Having had a bad experience on my YM 3000, ( sold it last year ) you might want to extend the brace to the frame mounts on either side of the engine. Reason is, the bell housing is used for the frame on these, and where your front mount is just puts more of a load on what could be the weak joint between the bell housing and the motor block. Behind the flywheel there are 8 or so 12mm bolts holding the flywheel to the bell housing. When changing my clutch I found 4 or so broken with the bolt heads half ground off by the back side of the flywheel rotating. Biggest load I ever had on that tractor was a 5' brush hog. My JD950 ran a 5' flail mower for most of it's life and had the brace added between the bell housing and the engine block long ago for that same problem. On this forum there have been other posts relating to this problem, I for one, have had this problem as well. That backhoe is going to produce much more stress at that joint. If you extended the front of the frame to either side of the engine block you would remove the load from that joint. If you were to tie into the bolt pattern that attaches either side of the block to the frame of the tractor with a little longer bolts, much of the stress would be taken from that joint. If you had room to use more of that 4" channel, it couldn't get stronger. Nice fab work, hope it works out in the long run.
Chris

Last edited: