Replumbed the hydraulics

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #1  

blackd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24D replaced with Massey GC2400
Finally found that round toit, and replumbed the hydraulics on my FX24D. Cut almost all of the high pressur line away and took pressure off the first 8* back from the pump than reconnected just in front of the 3 Pt hitch valve where the other end of the steel line was connected. FEL works great.

Learned another expensive hydraulics lesson. Bought all the pieces last Nov, but when I tried to hook them up NOHING fit. Next took all the lines, connections etc. into the supplier and he replaced everything with new correct pieces. Cost me @ $20 for a line and fittings that wasn't usable.

Don

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #2  
Don,
any chance of a picture of how you connected it?
Ernie.<><

/ Replumbed the hydraulics
Still don't have a digital camera. The take off point is easy, right behind the hydraulic pump. But, to see the return line I would have to take the seat and sheet metal off over the 3 Pt valve, and don't want to do that again!

I have tractor story for you. I was next door tilling the neighbors garden, when the tractor lurched forward and then I had no gears, forward or reverse in the old powershift. Pushed the tractor into the shop & went into the house and told the wife the transmission was fried. Was looking through the manual when it mentioned the range shift lever. I immediately went out to the tractor and found a loose screw right behind my right ear. The lurch had caused me to knock it into neutral & since this was the first time it happened THIS YEAR, I just wasn't used to it. Anyway tractor works just great, except for its driver.

Not quite as good a story as floating the tractor in the creek (wasn't that you?), but my latest experience.

Don

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #4  
Not sure I understand your post - but curious because of a problem with my FX24D. Why did you replumb?

I've noticed that after 30 minutes to 1 hour of hard working, the hydraulics develop a surge. (Koyker FEL) The lube doesn't get too hot - not too hot to touch filter anyway. Lube level just fine (seems foamy), and right stuff. New filter, recently serviced. So what gives? Could a small kink in the high pressure line cause this?

What parts did you need to replumb?

I built one of the CAD FELs & when I first plumbed the hydraulics took it off the 3 Pt hitch valve and returned after the 3 Pt running through the tilt control valve. Tilt control valve had too much restriction causing the FEL to be slow. Now, connection is from the pump to the FEL and back just before the 3 Pt valve. 3 Pt valve was first active point in original system.

When you say surge is it suddenly going faster? or is it dropping? Are you sure you have enough fluid? Could you be getting some foam into the lines. Is the transmission screen clean? Otherwise, it could be the valve or one of the cylinders. Pressure and volume should be pretty steady from the pump.

Don

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #6  
Freshly cleaned filter, screen, and new hydraulic fluid. System is connected just as you described it after revising. Everything works fine first thing in the morning, but the problem develops after about 30 minutes of hard work (tilling at 2300 rpm - not even using FEL/3pt. that much); then hydraulics just start acting all herky-jerky (no drops or fast movement) - acts like air in the line. I can even see the high pressure hose shaking. When I look at the fluid, the level is fine, but I can see lots of bubbles in the fluid. There are no visible leaks in the lines anywhere. If I wait an hour or so, everything works fine again. hmmmmmm?

The only thing I can find is a small kink in the high-pressure line where the dealer installed the FEL hose.

I'm out of ideas. It sure sounds like it's picking up air/bubbles which would probably be on the suction side. Are you sure the fluid is full? Would it hold another quart or two?

Don

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #8  
Pump is cavitating. Kink in high pressure line doesn’t matter. You said you replaced the fluid. You did use tractor fluid and not hydraulic fluid right? Your pump is sucking air either from the sump or the line to the pump.

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #9  
Any idea what the pressure/gpm of the pump on the fx24d is?

Soundguy

/ Replumbed the hydraulics #10  
If it is cavitating, it won't last long before the metal starts to erode.

Could he have an inlet obstruction as well?

But if bubbles ar visible in the resevior.. I would agree: air leak somewhere on the suction side of the pump.

Soundguy