Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK?

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I was digging with my FEL with toothbar and the tractor lurched backwards and over exteneded the curl buckets and with a loud bang I lost power to the curl. The loader lifts and I can manually curl the bucket. So..what damage did I do, seems like I did it to both cylnders and do I replace or rebuild?

If its a replacement - has anyone installed larger (meaning stronger) curl cylinders on the vTeks V2 loader

<
IMAG0280.jpg

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #2  
I did the same with my Mistsubishi MT4201D and VTEKS loader. It is cheaper to replace the cylinders. And, I could not locate replacement cylinders locally - TSC, Northern Tool, and a couple of online sites even. I finally called Josef Tractor Co down in Texas, gave them the model number of the loader and they sent two replacement cylinders right away. I do not have the contact info. But, do a goodle search for Josef Tractor Co on the internet and you should be able to find them.

Hawk

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK?
I think I remember they are odd ball size. Will check with Jose and VN1 tractor on Monday.

So...you over extended the cylinders and lost all power to them?

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #4  
Just putting something out there to think about. Not a hydraulic expert by no means. I wonder if it could be the control valve instead of the cylinders? You might try swapping lines on your control valve if you think that could be a possibility. :thumbsup:

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #5  
I busted the innards and pulled the rods clean out of the cylinders. I was using my 4-n-1 bucket, with toothbar, to level some land that I had recently cleared. I made the mistake of going forward and had the bucket rolled to far forward and it caught on a large root. I had made a couple of passes forward already getting up small surface roots. So, I thought I was good. I heard a loud pop and that was all she wrote!!

And, now that you mention it, it was VN1 tractor, not Josef, that I got the cylinders from. I was able to do everything either online or over the phone. They had the parts in stock and the cylinders reached me in North Carolina rather quickly.

I caught the dickens trying to match cylinders to fit the VTEK loaders on my yanmars and mitsibishi. There was a local hydraulic shop there in fayetteville I used for cylinder repair (I was rough on cylinders with my first few tractors). I found it to be easier to buy the cylinders from VN1 than it was to try to match a cylinder from one of the stores.

Hawk

Last edited:
   / Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #6  
Just putting something out there to think about. Not a hydraulic expert by no means. I wonder if it could be the control valve instead of the cylinders? You might try swapping lines on your control valve if you think that could be a possibility. :thumbsup:

Been there, done that - It is definitely not the control valve:confused2: If it was just hydraulic pressure, the lines will more than likely burst before the cylinders do.

The tractor lurching forward and loud pop is the key - They might be able to be rebuilt. But, it'll as cost as much as, or more than, new cylinders.

Hawk

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #7  
Scotty Dive,
By the way, what size bicket do you have on your 2020? I still have the original bucket from my MT4201D. I can't use it on my John Deere and it is still in great shape. I think it is 62" or something like that. The loader was an A3 however. If frame width of the V2 and A3 loaders are the same, you are more than welcome to pick it up, or pay the shipping.

Hawk

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #8  
Since it isnt leaking oil, I would say that you broke the cylinder rods off the piston where they are connected. You might be able to take them apart and weld the rod back on if you have the skills or just replace the rod and piston if you can find the parts.

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK? #9  
It's the dummy back again. Just a question, not a fact. If one cylinder went bad, wouldn't that relieve pressure from the other cylinder? Probably both bad but just asking if one cylinder was bad could the other still be okay.

/ Curl Bucket Cylinder over extended on VTEK?

Winston - I am open to all ideas, but I had my hand on the valve controller and ,.....just guessing here...I would think that I would have "felt" something break it in the handle?

Also - I am interested in your thought if one cylinder went bad and bypassing fluid - So this morning I disconnected the top cylinder mount on both curl cylinders. One of them I could pull upwards with out feeling any pressure - the other when I pulled upwards on it - it had resistance to it.

I am thinking maybe that one failed and is bypassing? Thoughts?