Enviorment disposal of Oil

/ Enviorment disposal of Oil #1  

jmf7112001

Silver Member
Tractor
Many different models
I was just told that you could put the oil from the engine in you fuel tank to dispose of it. I got a customer doing it and his tractor is running fine. Has anybody else heared of this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Enviorment disposal of Oil #2  
Yep, I've heard of it. Bad idea to dump waste oil into the engine of a multi-thousand dollar tractor. Waste oil contains acids, and other contaminants. No way I'd do it in my tractor.

/ Enviorment disposal of Oil #3  
I worked for many years in the maritime industry where the practice is common. Why? Waste oil tanks take up valuable space otherwise occupied by fuel or revenue generating cargo and offloading waste oil is EXPENSIVE.

The waste oil is dumped in truly HUGE fuel tanks where the percentage of waste oil to fuel is miniscule. The last ship I was on was 168 feet and powered by two Detroit 16V-149 engines (About 900 HP). I don't know how much oil they held, but I doubt it could have been more than 60 Gallons per engine. Call it 100 Gal per and thats 200 gallons going into 6 tanks totalling 68,000 gallons of diesel fuel. That's something less than half of one percent.

That's for a pretty small ship. I'm sure the percentage goes down substantially as the ship gets bigger.

This was all accomplished via a dizzying array of pipes, manifolds and tanks, and was (is?) perfectly legal.

Any other details I don't know. I drove the thing and thanked God I had Engineers onboard.

Rick

/ Enviorment disposal of Oil #4  
If you live in a colder area, there are furnaces that are specially made to burn waste oil fairly cleanly. Other options are some auto parts places ( discount? ) will freely accept your used oil. Sometimes your municipal solid waste dept. will have a place to dispose of it.

I happen to be lucky, the contractor I work for was a large waste oil tank that is emptied every month by an oil recycling company free of charge.

If none of this helps, call a local pertoleum dealer and ask about disposal options.. they should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Soundguy

/ Enviorment disposal of Oil #5  
I just sent 90 gal to a local garage to burn in his waste oil furnace next winter. He was glad to get it. The average waste oil furnace consumes 1 gal per hour. Do the math. He wants all he can get.