Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ??

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #1  

rbeitz

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I was doing some spring maintenance today on my tractor, changing fluids etc. I decided to check the fluid in the front axle. I have attached a diagram from my manual for reference. If I open plug #32 on the top of and on each side of the axle I can see some fluid in there but, how do I know when it's full?

Also, if you look a the actual wheel gear assemblies there is a plug on the inside about 1/2 way up the assembly. This plug is not numbered in the attached diagram but if you look at item number 40 you can see the plug hole on the inside of that assembly. However, when I opened this plug on the left side of the tractor lots of fluid came running out. On the right side nothing? How do I fill these? Do they get fluid from the axle above or is there another fill plug for this? Is this my full level indicator for the axle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 259439-Tractor_axle.jpg
    259439-Tractor_axle.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,468
   / Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #2  
It sounds like from my manual that you have to drain from the gear housings at each wheel and the differential housing. Reinstall the drain plugs and then refill from the bleed plug on the differential housing w/ 3.2 quarts of #90 gear oil. Good luck

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ??
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It sounds like from my manual that you have to drain from the gear housings at each wheel and the differential housing. Reinstall the drain plugs and then refill from the bleed plug on the differential housing w/ 3.2 quarts of #90 gear oil. Good luck )</font>

OK I can see how the plugs in the gear housings would be used for drain plugs, but which is the bleed plug from my attached diagram? Is that item number 67? I assume I would fill from plug number 32 until it comes out the bleed plug?

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #4  
The best that I can tell, is that the bleed plug is also the check plug on the back of the differential housing under the tractor frame on the right hand side. I am only going by the pictures in the manual as I don't even have my tractor yet. My pictures show a fill plug on the right end of the axel. The book also says to wait an hour to check the level and check again after a few hours use. Good Luck. I am sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Hondo

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #5  
Number 24 is the main diff. drain so that one needs to come out. The outboard drains are not pictured but I'll tell you where they are. Find number 42, it is the bottom cover plate with a shaft sticking up. If you look at your machine you'll see 6, I think or maybe 8, bolts that go around the edge of the plate attaching it to the housing. Then there will be 1 bolt sort of in the center, that is the drain for the end housings

Pull those (1 on each side) and the air bleeds (number 67, one on each side). When the 3 drain plugs are removed it will take a while to drain completely. I let mine sit for a couple hours then replace the drain plugs but leave the air bleeds out. I then filled with 90w dope through number 32. I put 1 qt. in 1 side and then a second qt. in the other side and let it sit a few minutes. Then add an additional 1/2 qt. to each side, replace the fill plugs and air bleed plugs and your all set.

I know this is kind of long but I just went through this on my 1500d not 2 weeks ago and hope this will save you, and others, some time and confusion.

Thanks for the instructions, just what I was looking for. I opened the breather plug #67 and filled from the top of the axle #32 until I had some gear oil coming out of the breather plug. Then I stopped. Now I got a major leak on the left side and a lessor leak on the right side. It seems to be leaking out around item number 26 on the diagram I attached above. Is this a seal? My parts catalog has it as part number 194191-13130 but the description is in Japenese so I don't know what it is. If it is a seal I would say that mine is definetely bad on the left side and the right side may not be far behind.

Can anyone who's had the front end of a 1500D apart tell me if item number 26 here is a seal? My front end is leaking like a siv in the area around item 26 on my diagram here. I believe it to be a seal but I need someone to confirm. How hard would it be to take apart and replace? Is there anything else that should be replaced at the same time?
Thanks for your help guys!

259439-Tractor_axle.jpg

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #8  
I don't think its a seal. I've had my 1500D front open and it has a large O ring. Its easy to get to this. Just remove the top bolt ( number cut off, but washer is # 48, 46). Jack up the axle and the gear box should not raise with the axle.

Larry

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #9  
Rob,
The answer is YES! Number 26 is a seal - a very large seal. This is typically the first place that the axle will begin to leak. I have never disassembled a 1500D front axle, but have disassembled a YM1110D front axle. It is very difficult to say how hard it will be to replace the seal. I know that the axle I repaired was pretty easy. From the diagram, it looks like the final drive is held together by the vertical shaft. Removing the stuff on the top of the vertical shaft may allow the two parts of the final drive to come apart. Hopefully others who have done this before will provide better information.

/ Adding gear oil to front axle 1500D ?? #10  
It is a seal and it is easy to remove. The problem is that the seal is never the problem. Years of mud and grime cut away at the seating surface which starts to rust then the seal rubs on rust and ruins the seal. Put a new seal in and it will still leak like crazy.

Take the housing (part #40) and build up the groves worn in it by the old seal, we tig weld them here but you can use some synthetic metal patch (not JB weld, spend a few bucks for the real stuff). Put part 40 in a lathe and cut it smooth. If you can’t get a lathe then spend some time and file it smooth. Then put in a new seal. Now you know why the old joke was “Yanmar axels never leak as long as they are out of oil”
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif