Leaking exhaust manifold.

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #1  

MarkStewart

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1401
Hi. I'm having a problem with my yanmar 1401. There seems to be fuel leaking from the exhaust manifold. I checked the head gasket and it doesn't seem to be leaking. Also it doesn't seem to be using any oil and the anti-freeze level is the same as far as I can see. The anti-freeze also doesn't appear to be contaminated. When it runs it doesn't smoke excessivly, it puffs grey smoke when I hit the throttle or when it is under a load. Does this seem like a major problem? Will I need to rebuild engine? Thank you
See this link for pics. manifold leak

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #2  
I would guess that if you did not have that exhaust leak you would be blowing black smoke. I would replace the manifold gasket and then troubleshoot for unburned fuel: dirty air filter, bad fuel, dirty injectors. Possible internal probs, but lots to check before that.

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #3  
I'm gonna go with Norm on this one. Diesels sometimes do something called 'slobber' and that is a black oil/fuely residue that will slobber out of the exhaust stact. if your case, as norm points out.. you have a leaky exhaust manifold and the slobber is exiting right there, insteadof blowing out the stack, and burning a bit more.. thus some more black some to go with the slobber.

Not sure exactly what the cause is.. but am thinking excessive fuel usage.. I'm sure others will chime in.

Soundguy

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #4  
I have a TL1900 Iseki that does the same thing when idled for an extended period. It doesn't smoke at all.
Rick

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #5  
" idleing for a long period" Could that be "wet stacking" caused from idleing too long and the exhaust temp getting too low. I have been told not to let my Ford idle over 10 minutes below 1200 rpm.

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #6  
Looks like a mixture of carbon and water. does you exhaust sit out in the rain without a cap on it? When was the last time you changed your engine oil? What kind of oil did you use?

/ Leaking exhaust manifold.
The oil was changed when I bought the tractor in Jan. I'm not sure what type of oil they used to change it. I have put about 30 hrs on it since then. I run it at 2000rpm 98% of the time. I usually have a can over the exhaust but it is possible that rain had gotten into the exhaust. I don't think very much got in there the pipe is curved at the top, but it is possible. Can the muffler itself be taken apart and cleaned etc.?

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #8  
It is time to change your oil, 3 months or 50 hours which ever comes first. Make sure you use a diesel rated oil and new filter.

/ Leaking exhaust manifold.
Is 15w40 shell rottella ok ? Or should I go for a lighter weight oil?
Thanks,
Mark

/ Leaking exhaust manifold. #10  
Mark, we used Delo 400 15-40 when we changed the oil before we shipped it to you. It looks like a little water got in the muffler. That creates a nice black watery substance and it can leak out at the gasket location. We removed the muffler for shipping, so the gasket has been disturbed. If the gasket looks fairly good, you can apply some high temp gasket material to it and re-install it.

Putting a can over the muffler top is a good idea. Hope all is well, and thanks again for the business.