Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: Yanmar tug of war

Quote Originally Posted by winston1 View Post
    What are you going to plant there?
    Sweet corn.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Quote Originally Posted by Car Doc View Post
    Sweet corn.
    I know I have gotton off the subject on this thread but I am just trying to educate my self on how you are laying out your rows. What will you do next there? Probably sounds like a dumb question but I see people lay out rows in different ways. My dad was a farmer from the mule days and had great knowledge. I kick myself pretty often for not having paid more attention when growing up. I lay my rows out will a little two disc hiller on about 36" centers with my 2002d. I know your tractor is considerable wider than mine so assuming or guessing maybe that is why your rows are spread like that?

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Hey Winston,

Well I am not much of a farmer I am lazy as all get out. I try every year to simplify the next crop. After I furrow I fertilize just the furrows with straight 13 and then run my 17" walk behind tiller.

Then I seed 2 rows at the bottom of the furrow just at the outer edge with an Earthway seeder, and flood irrigate. I will post a pic tomorrow I don't have access to them right now. So each furrow is actually 2 rows of corn.

My rows are actually 5' plus 1 rear tire width just a bit wider than last year. I still had trouble getting the mower between rows twords the end of season so went a bit wider this year.
    Last edited by Car Doc; 03-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

I knew there was a reason you did it that way. Just didn't know what it was. Sounds like a good plan. Don't have any pictures but I have corn up now.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Hey Winston,

Here is this year pre-seed and one of last year with a crop in place in June I am un-conventional in my garden methods to say the least. You have corn up now WOW we have 2-3 months to go till the ground is warm enough!!

Like I mentioned I tend to try and find the most return from the least input on my garden just lazy me. I rather mow than till after the first half season so I make myself lots of room between rows haha.

This year I am doing 12 rows 75' long 2 wide all at the same time its going to be an interesting harvest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -garden-3-12-12-010-a   -img_1369-1280x960-jpg  

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Hes in texas hes got to get his corn crop outta the ground before it hits 110f! I think we could have corn up here if you had it in the ground already as well.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Yep, I'm really planting early, just taking a chance Jack Frost doesn't get it. If he does I'll plant again.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Wishing us all luck!

Last year was just brutal up here and down in Texas too you guys had it worse. We are raining now and I like it. We put 600 onions in last Saturday not doing taters this year but sure am hoping the heat doesn't return so we all get tomatoes.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

Late winter/early spring rain storms are common for us here, but last year my garden was annihilated by a snowstorm in April-after having several weeks of 90 degree weather, and having temperatures over 80 the day after 4 inches of snow obliterated my corn, potatoes, strawberries, squash, and melons.

I put them in early, to take advantage of the warm spell we get in January and February, hoping to germinate and grow in time for the rain to sustain the crops and reduce my irrigation expenses. I lost on that wager, and have yet to plant anything. This weekend we got snow again; I'm glad I didn't plant earlier. My fruit trees are an unknown, though. There's nothing like seeing this in the morning, after finishing pruning the day before:

I got the snow off the trees as quickly as I could after taking some pictures, but I'm not sure how much damage was done. A couple of the trees already had thumb sized fruit, and the citrus trees were just about coming ripe.

Even though conditions seem optimal (Ignoring the snowstorm a few days ago), I'm going to hold off on planting anything for another couple weeks, just in case we get another snow flurry. This is the second abnormally late snowfall we have had this year.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Oh man thats what we are dreading right now we have record highs and everything has budded out like that.

Even the grass needs mowed this weekend and we almost always get one hard freeze in late March to mid April time will tell.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast