Charging system

/ Charging system #1  

romoshka

Tractor
YANMAR 1600, Farmall 100
Well, I have encountered my next hurdle. As readers of my posts will recall I am returning to service a tractor (1600) that my F-I-L has had for many years but has not used in almost as many. New battery, changed the water-contaminated Hy-Trans fluid and rebuilt the hydraulic controller. The last thing to tackle was the charging system. Local Alt rebuild shop assures me that the alternator is small (15 A) but working fine. The tell me it must be the regulator (I figured that the regulator was inside the alternator) so I found the regulator and removed the 5 lug mechanical device - very carefully labeling the wires: A F N L IG and the grounding wire. Ordered a replacement from Hoye. This required replacing the spade terminals with push-on terminals. Then I saw what I think in a problem. The heavy wire on the alternator is fixed to the A terminal but it was attached to the F terminal on the old regulator. If I could find a wiring diagram I think I could figure it out but I am very reluctant to hook this up as I do not want to fry my new $80 regulator. Any electrical gurus out there with some advice? Any idea where I might find a wiring diagram? There is ample evidence of hack wiring mods in the past under the dash - lots of twist splices without any covering, original start switch on the steering column but not connected - rather replaced with a key switch, etc.

/ Charging system #2  
Same wires to the Reg. may have just gotten lucky :D

Attachments

• 336D wiring diagram0001.pdf
    597.6 KB · Views: 376
   / Charging system
Same wires to the Reg. may have just gotten lucky :D

LOL - and thanks for the diagram - I can now solve the dilemma...I think. Do you have an idea which terminal should have the larger gauge wire? I'm betting its the A (armature?) but don't know for sure. And now I am wondering if my regulator was really bad or just incorrectly wired. Oh well, solid state is supposed to be better.:laughing:

/ Charging system #4  
I have both Old and New style Reg. also and they both work.:) The previous owner had a Charge problem so They thought and replaced the old Reg. with the Solid State and it wasn't the problem. Just a few wks. after I bought it my light started flickering. Thats how I found the upgraded Reg. and it Drove me Nuts! It ended up being a bad connection on the Fuse panel I found loose and just tightened it up. I new that was a hard to find problem so I plugged the old reg. back up and it worked great. Used it for a few weeks to make sure. :cool:
All my wires correspond to the SS Reg. and per Hoye's pic. of it. The same one is used for the Ym2000 and the 1600 which plugs right into the Orig. wire Harness. It matches the Diagram so you should have everything you need :cool:

/ Charging system
Ah ha! Now I understand why my troubles are greater than what seems obvious. The picture referenced on the Hoye site shows an old style regulator with a pigtail and a 6 pin plug - my old style mechanical regulator had 5 tabs and the wires all had eye connectors that were held to the regulator with screws. Hence I had to label each wire, cut off the eye connector and replace with a female spade connector. Now I have to plug each individual wire into the 6 pin socket. Like I mentioned previously there is more than ample evidence of some hack working on the wiring in this tractors earlier life. Now to take my newly acquired wiring diagram (thanks again to the kind fellow that posted it - can't see your name as I type this response) and my multimeter and go figure it all out.

/ Charging system #6  
Cary is the only one you have been talking to on this whole thread untill i posted, so he is the one your refferring to.