Thinking about a 1702D with issues

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #11  
Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a Mitsubishi so have similar issues with hunting for parts, although it rarely needs parts. I hear what you are saying on the relative value of the parts compared to the total purchase price of each good component.
The take home: thus far the part situation is unknowable until I bust into the transmission and even if I can't get the parts the sum of the remaining could be sold to recoup the costs...that is how I'm pitching it to my wife anyway:)

Willamina OR...I'll let you know if I pass and send you his way.

Thanks for the feedback
See if he will let you pull the top off the shifter and trans housings before you buy it. Should not take you more than a few hours max to figure it out. Or is this something you dont want him to see you do in case its an easy fix?

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues
I think he is kind of tired of looking at it. So I will likely make the gamble and shoot him an offer. Also never having opened a yanmar I will likely need to go slower than if I had experience with one. But if it is a 2 hour job I could likely figure it out in a day. We'll see, and I'll let you know the scoop.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #13  
I think he is kind of tired of looking at it. So I will likely make the gamble and shoot him an offer. Also never having opened a yanmar I will likely need to go slower than if I had experience with one. But if it is a 2 hour job I could likely figure it out in a day. We'll see, and I'll let you know the scoop.

Pulling the top off the 3pt and the shifter assembly is probly more like a 1/2 hour job assuming nothing snaps off in the holes. My 2 hour estimate is to give you time to pull it off poke aroud and look for an obvious cause then put the top back on then you can call Hoye and say, X gear is busted or fork X is busted is one availible?

well I shot him an offer but unfortunately also got him inspired to the point that he posted it on craigslist at a much higher price. I have some wiggle room but not much so if nobody takes it at his asking price then it may come back to me. Not holding my breath at this point.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #15  
Thats why in a case like this you dont want to seem to excited or pushy to buy it as they get suspicious as to its value.

yep just wait and see

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #17  
I imagine he will very near to what he is asking for it. The machine is too clean, the Koyker loader looks good; even the seat appears uncracked. I hope for your sake you can pick it up, but it's going to be at the ballpark he wants, I expect.

Yeah, I expect that given this nice sunny weekend after weeks of late rain someone will show up with cash and be pretty near his price. But one never knows...the seller doesn't know much about the problem or the potential fix...which to me means it isn't worth nearly half the going rate for a functional tractor, but lesser value.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #19  
...But one never knows...the seller doesn't know much about the problem or the potential fix...which to me means it isn't worth nearly half the going rate for a functional tractor, but lesser value.

I agree. Frequently "I don't know what's wrong with it" really means "I don't know how to fix it for very cheap, and it's a lot worse than it seems like." I've lucked out on a couple of situations like that, but I've gotten into a couple where I was NOT ahead to buy a project. (Not just with tractors, naturally.) Sometimes it's wiser to pass on a deal with potential rather than expose ones' self to the hazard of dealing with unknown problems.