Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Default Thinking about a 1702D with issues

Hi,

I recently ran across a Yanmar 1702D that might be for sale. It is a friend of a friend kind of situation. The tractor apparently runs but has a mysterious transmission problem that precludes operations. The current owner doesn't know too much about it but says "there is something in there" that commonly breaks and the parts are unavailable due to the grey market status of the tractor. So my questions are...

1. does this tractor have a known transmission weakness that commonly fails?
    2. If so how fixable is it?
    3. Any other issues common on this tractor I should be concerned about?
    4. in your opinions what would you offer on a tractor that runs, has this trans problem but is equipped with FEL, small mower and tiller?

I think I likely could tear this down and do the repairs myself if the parts are available. If I could pick this up for a decent price it would really increase my operations capability...

Thanks

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2210

Default Re: Thinking about a 1702D with issues

The first thing I would consider is whether I want to buy a new hobby. Fixing the transmission is going be one, at least for a while. The transmissions in these Yanmars are pretty reliable, but any mechanical system can develop a problem just due to abuse or normal wear. The good news is that there are a lot of really knowledgeable people on here who can give you great advice as you tackle the problem(s).

If in good condition, the tiller is worth $500 and mower probably at least $500. The FEL could also be worth $1000 or more. If nothing else, you could sell these off to recoup $2000 of the cost. If the rest of the tractor is in good mechanical and physical condition, I would say that if you could get it all for $3000, it's a good deal. Good luck!
    Yanmar YM2210, Taylor-way 5' finish mower, Woods 4' rotary mower, boom pole, hayride wagon; upgraded tractor with gas turbine engine plus strap on solid rocket motors for that extra boost of speed... but brakes only work when I'm on the ground.
    <><

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Id go with what G said, but the loader is probly $1500 still an easy sell. The tractor i think should still only sell for at most $2000 in that shape. If its a gear thats busted they may be right, no longer availible, unless Hoye can pull something off a parts machine.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2210

Yes, I would definitely check into parts for it first.
    Yanmar YM2210, Taylor-way 5' finish mower, Woods 4' rotary mower, boom pole, hayride wagon; upgraded tractor with gas turbine engine plus strap on solid rocket motors for that extra boost of speed... but brakes only work when I'm on the ground.
    <><

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

G, im not trying to get down to a price argument but for the OP i say the price i do as your taking a risk and taking the whole thing off his hands. Yes its worth more than the $2k i said but so is a junk car you buy for $350 from someonee. Scrap may be $300, but you start looking at the rims are worth $10 a piece and tires $20 if there good, the door is worth $50 the hood $75 etc etc. Its one of those things if it were parted out its worth way more but you have to pull it and then sell it all.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Iseki TA 207

I had a tractor that the trans was " bad". It turned out to be a shifter fork broken buy a wheel being shipped on top of it from Japan. I pulled the top aff and welded the fork back. It is still working as far as I know. But that said, the YM 1703 was one of the between the cracks machines when I dealt with them. Ther wasn't many out there to get parts from.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2210

Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well do ya?!"
    <><

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by Kays Supply View Post
    I had a tractor that the trans was " bad". It turned out to be a shifter fork broken buy a wheel being shipped on top of it from Japan. I pulled the top aff and welded the fork back. It is still working as far as I know. But that said, the YM 1703 was one of the between the cracks machines when I dealt with them. Ther wasn't many out there to get parts from.
    "1703"??? im guessing you meant 1702 as thats what the tread is about.

You know of another 1702D in the area? I figured I was the only one. I've never had a problem with the trans in mine (knock wood). If you pass on it let me know, I'd love to see about getting the FEL.

Bryan
    Near Willamina, OR, work at RadioShack in Dallas

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a Mitsubishi so have similar issues with hunting for parts, although it rarely needs parts. I hear what you are saying on the relative value of the parts compared to the total purchase price of each good component.
    The take home: thus far the part situation is unknowable until I bust into the transmission and even if I can't get the parts the sum of the remaining could be sold to recoup the costs...that is how I'm pitching it to my wife anyway

Willamina OR...I'll let you know if I pass and send you his way.

Thanks for the feedback

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast