Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #1  

DarylB

I'm seriously considering buying a Yanmar F215 from a local used tractor dealer. It looks like a great tractor -- built in 2000, 1000 hours, 30 HP, 4x4, loader and brush hog for $9500 -- but I'm very concerned about buying a gray market tractor. I've seen many discussions on this and similar web sites about getting parts and support. I haven't been able to locate anyone on the net with manuals for this particular tractor (maybe its too new?). The local dealer doesn't supply parts, etc, himself. Any words of wisdom? Do you think I'd have a reasonable chance of getting parts and manuals for this tractor? Does anyone know of a reputable Yanmar or grey market tractor dealer in the St Louis area.

Thanks for your help!

- Daryl -

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #2  
It is about 25-26HP, parts manuals are available, but not service manuals that I am aware of. These are nice tractors. If your delear cannot get you parts, I wouldn't buy from him. Most parts on this machine (other than seals, filters, belts, etc) will have to come from Japan. Parts availability for these is good in Japan, but your dealer needs to have a connection over there. I'd question him further....what does he do for parts if he finds a problem while preparing them for sale?

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #3  
If the dealer told you that tractor was built in 2000, then he lied - whether intentional or not. My data indicates that the F215 was first available in 1988, and continued to 1990 - which is the last year for which I have information. It is very unlikely that particular model was still available 10 years later.

If he specifically told you that the tractor was built in 2000, then I'd steer clear of that particular dealer. Either he intentionally lied to you to sell a tractor, or he doesn't know better. In either case, I wouln't deal with him.

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #4  
Dave, 10 bucks says he doesn’t fix anything and couldn’t if he wanted to...... I've heard the 2000 model BS till it makes me sick. I'm surprised that he isn’t advertising it as 30hp also.

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #6  
HA!!! I didn’t even notice that. LMAO! That actually made me laugh out loud. They sure are predictable. There is a 1500D in the paper from a dealer who is advertising it as 30hp. Customers have called and asked if I could match his price…… I said “sure, but that I would need a few weeks to get the twin turbo over blower installed to match the hp”.

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #7  
I guess the answer from the people here on the board is that there are several things wrong with the information you posted. First the date of manufacture and second the hp. That means to most of us here, probably you should avoid this dealer. At least you asked the questions before you bought. Of course, it could just be a misinformed dealer, and even the misinformed dealer could sell you a good tractor. It is likely, however, that if they don't get the facts correct in the first place you'll be on your own for parts (although lots of people on this board will help with that). I guess the main worry is getting something that is not what it is represented to be. We've seen/heard of everything from different makes of tractors being labelled with Yanmar labels, to incorrect model numbers (2 wd models being labelled with 4wd model numbers), to gross misrepresentations of hours, hp and year of manufacture. When things don't feel right walk away.

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215
Thanks all for the great responses! This dealer doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. For that reason, combined with the expense of parts for this particular model, it looks like I'll walk away from this tractor sale.

Too bad, because it seems like a great little tractor. I'll probably still end up buying a Yanmar, though... I've heard great things about them.

Thanks again,

- Daryl -

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #9  
Seems to me, the only issue here is if you like the tractor and you like the price. Gray market tractor owners don't need dealers, you just need to be a good mechanic. It's like buying a used race car from an individual, you gotta fix it yourself.

/ Thinking of buying a Yanmar F215 #10  
or find someone that will fix it for you. They dont break all that often from what I've read. Mostly just seals and brake linings. bw