gas tank pressure

/ gas tank pressure #1  

Ginormous

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210
Hi guys,

I know this came up in a recent thread. I received my new YM2210 from Fredricks this morning... Woo Hoo! I didn't have much time to admire it before I went to work, but I did notice that the gas tank is pressurizing. Is that normal? Should I be concerned? Seems like I should add something to relieve the pressure.

/ gas tank pressure #2  
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. Are you sure the tank is building pressure? It should be vented either through the cap or a seperate vent tube. Usually you will get a vacuum in the tank if there is a venting problem.

Ken

/ gas tank pressure
I unscrewed the cap and air + a little diesel came out. I suppose it's possible it had pressure in it from something during shipping, like temperature or altitude change... I'll see what it does tonight when I run it.

/ gas tank pressure #4  
OK, i know i have been posting about this on recent threads but i refreshed my memory this time as i was at the farm this last weekend.

The tank does not pressurize. You should have the little strainer basket in the filler neck that catches big stuff as you pour into the tank. It has little slots in it that when you screw your cap down allow air to flow in and out of the tank as to not build up pressure. If you dont have the little strainer your rubber gasket under the fuel cap will make an air tight seal with the tank neck causing it to pressureize. If you dont have the basket you can either make a small notch in the tank neck or get the strainer from Hoye or just dont tighten your cap all the way (id be worried it would vibrate off as i was turned around). I think Car doc just leaves his loose if i remember right?

/ gas tank pressure
Clemson -- yes, my strainer basket for the fuel tank is missing. I had a few small issues to report to Fredricks on my new tractor, and this is one of them. I haven't heard yet what they say about them, but I will certainly post my experience either way.

/ gas tank pressure #6  
If the tank is very full some fuel may spill out when you open the cap as there is not enough room for expansion.

/ gas tank pressure
The tank is probably half full. The fuel that came out was probably splashed up on the bottom of the lid and the pressure pushed it out when I opened the lid.

/ gas tank pressure #8  
I leave mine just loose enough I can un-screw it with a couple fingers or mine does that too. It will go the other way and suck itself inside out too if I forget no biggy just a characteristic we learn about as we go. congrats on the new toy btw!

/ gas tank pressure #9  
I don't have strainer on my Tank either and if I did I wouldn't of had to vent my Tank with a notch on the Strainer. Normal on alot of equipment. My Diesel can has Screen. And my Funnel I use is Screened also. Thats how I keep the dirt out. I had a Old vent tube setup I used from a old ATV. Gas cap. A Mid 80's Bayou I bought for parts that workes like a champ ;) I actually seen the Air Bubbles coming from around the Injector return to the Tank leaving a puddle on top of the Tank. I just never had a good feeling about letting it go leaking Fuel Right in front and just above the Fuse Pane.:confused: After taking care of that I knew there would be a very good chance of the Tank getting pressured up blowing a Seal. Seen Fuel coming from around the Fuel cut off at the Filter also come to think about it. That's why I put a 10min. Ghetto Rigged on the cap and cured that problem.;)

Attachments

• 003 (2).jpg
    003 (2).jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 156