Starter won't turn

/ Starter won't turn #1  

bfuller

Starter won\'t turn

Model YM 169 D
Has been eratic in the past - now won't turn.
Usually I turn the key to the left for 10- 15 sec to heat (both gen and oil pres lights light up) turn to "start" and starter turns. also when key is turned to "on" both lights - light up. They then go out at "start up".

NOW -
1) lights light up only when wire are "in the right position" (bad wire or short?)
2) lights will not light up on "heat"
3) ign switch has 5 connectors (R1, R2, BR, B, & C)
4) at "off" R1&2,C & BR =0, B= 13.5 V
5) at "on" R1&2 =0, C = 0, B & BR = 12.2V
6) at "heat" R1 & 2 = 1.3
7) at "start" R1& 2 = 0.4, C= 0.3, B & BR = 12.2V

"C" to solenoid shows continuity.
Jumping from "C" to solenoid produces "click" but starter does not turn. Engine will turn by hand, clutch has been blocked "down" for the winter.

/ Starter won't turn #2  
Re: Starter won\'t turn

If the battery is at full charge and the termianals are clean, it could be the bendix stuck. I just had to clean and lube one yesterday. If it is hanging it won't let voltage to your solinoid contacts that supply voltage to your starter windings. The brushes were stuck as well in the starter I just took apart.
Try a solid tap with a hammer while someone else is trying to start it. If that works you are the right track.

/ Starter won't turn #3  

If battery & all connections are good, I'd vote for replacing the solenoid. It sounds like it has been weak & it finally gave up.

/ Starter won't turn #4  

I had a similiar problem on my 147. There is a short splice or connecting wire in the wiring harness right above the starter. It has blade connectors on both ends. this thing is about 3" long on mine. Anyway I traced everything down and wasn't getting enough current to pull the selenoid in. Mine would start when you jump directly to the starter from the battery. Anyway I finally found this wire and cut out the bad end and soldered it back to the connector.

Mine is a two cylinder and I think yours is too. At certain rpms these little guys shake and this particular wire on mine was just flopping back and forth. The bad spot would get almost hot enough to melt the insulation on the wire when trying to start. I guess from all the flopping around it was down to a few strands of copper trying to carry the current. Once I got it repaired I secured it so it doesn't flop around and haven't had anymore problems. So nice to start the first time you turn the key!

Hope this helps.

/ Starter won't turn #5  

Like Gary said, unhook everything from the starter and hook jumper cables direct from battery ,(pos, to pos. post and neg. to case and see if it spins. If no take it apart and clean it up, if yes, look elsewhere.

/ Starter won't turn #6  

I had a problem with the starter only working intermitantly on my 169D. It turned out that the brushes in the starter motor were worn down to the point that they were no longer making good contact. Jim

/ Starter won't turn #7  

I would go ahead and put a set of jumper cables on the starter to eliminate that theory, but it sounds to me that the problem is in the ignition switch. You said that the idiot lights quit working also. That means you have to figure out what is in common with the lights, the starter, and most likely the thermostart if equipped. The easiest answer is the switch, or power wire going to the switch. I have a ym2000b, so I'm not familiar with yours at all. That means take this advice for what it's worth..... Nothing.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
One more thing. Test the easy stuff first, then throw the cheapest parts at it before the expensive ones. E.M.