Oil & Fuel JD 955 burning engine oil

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #11  
Walmart.com: Super Tech Universal Motor Oil 15W40, 1 gal: Automotive

I would keep oil in it and at 2.75 a QT. every 10 hrs. isn't much to worry about cost wise. IMO.
Run it until it quits. a Eng. rebuild unless you do it yourself Big Bucks. Still costly either way a Shop/Mechanic or do it yourself. It could get better on the oil use the previous owner may not have ever changed it and that may have caused the problem. My bet it won't get any worse for a long time if you keep up with it ;) down to 2.40 a Qt or 25 cents an Hr. if you buy 2 Gal.

Last edited:
   / JD 955 burning engine oil #12  
i use Delo 400 in both mine, the 1500 uses nothing between services but the 14 uses a little, i am surprised it is not more as it smokes a bit but uses little. i also use it in my Landcruiser and swear by it.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #13  
Mr Winston and others, no blow by out of vent tube. So correct me if i am wrong, the piston is a slip fit inside of the bore of the cylinder and the rings seal up the slip fit clearance to achieve maximum compression. Having said that then where or how is the crankcase oil getting into the cumbustion chamber to exit the engine as light blue exhaust smoke? The tractor is a 1990 JD 955 with 963 hrs. Plus ll JD 15-40 engine oil is what I am using not sure what previous owner used. Other than engine oil going from full to add in 10 hours tractor starts good, runs smooth, plenty of power. Someone from the JD forum said to change oil more frequently and use a high detergent oil for a couple changes. What brand and weight high detergent oil would any of you recomend?

As the oil is splashed up by the crank or from the compression gasses that are blowing by one cyl, into other cyl walls. Your worn rings dont scrape the oil down from the cyl walls and that residual oil is burned in the combustion.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #14  
Possible you could have a broken oil wiper ring on a piston. Having said that I would probably do as some others have suggested, run it and keep the oil level where needed. I don't believe oil brand change or additives will cure it. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #15  
Yea Oil brand is irrelevant. Any good deisel oil, wether its name brand walmart, gas station oil is going to work just the same.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil
Thanks for explaining the rings. A local JD mechanic told me not to touch it other than maybe do the detergeant oil change a few times.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #18  
Further explaining it, i think there is either 2 or 3 rings per Cyl. I cant remember and am to lazy to go to the Hoye site to look it up. Like they said there is wiper rings that wipe the oil down on the piston down stroke and there is a compression ring. If there is 3 rings i guess you have maybe 2 compression and 1 oil wiping ring. Im no expert either but it works in some combinantion of this.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #19  
I see where you used JD oil that is good long as its not synthetic I am not sure if they even use any but just saying.

I got on here to say if you started using synthetic and it started using oil thats the most obvious reason but maybe not the case. I use Rotella T 15-40 these are old school loose tolerance engines plain old diesel dinosaur oil works the best.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil
I use Rotella 15-40 in my red iron farming tractors so may switch to that after a couple hi detergeant oil changes. Will be interesting to see how many hours I put on it over the summer, boy is it handy I should have made this move years ago.