Oil & Fuel JD 955 burning engine oil

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #1  

tag01

Tractor
IH 1466, IH 656, JD B, JD 955
I started this thread in the JD user forum but was advised to move it to Yanmar, I purchased a 1990 JD 955 with 963 hrs back in January. I changed all the oils, filters and fluids before using. In 10 hours of full throttle medium duty work the engine oil on dipstick went from the full mark to the add mark. Is this normal or is it time for an engine overhaul?

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #2  
I would keep a eye on it. Check the oil the same way everytime. For me when it sits over night so all the oil drains into the pan. Does it smoke alot when it's running? Look for leaks etc.. If you are using oil and no visual leaks then most likely time for new Piston Rings. IMO.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #3  
A lot depends on the user. I would say yes, you have a good bit of wear, however, adding a little oil doesn't bother a lot of folks. Some people don't like it at all. Do you have a good deal of grayish smoke when working? Does your vent tube look anything like this? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLwUS_QGOhU&NR=1]Yanmar 155D Crankcase Vent - YouTube[/ame] Not sure why John Deere refereed you over here but welcome. You have a Yanmar 3tn84rj engine.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #4  
it seems like the quart or more of oil burning would make significant amounts of blue smoke. Is it possible you're losing the oil somewhere through a leak?

/ JD 955 burning engine oil
Thanks for the replies, It smokes a little during warm up which is normal for any diesel. After warm up when I crack it to full throttle then it puffs a small cloud of bluish smoke then the exhaust clears up. However when I was mowing the other day (full throttle) up against a building on the exhaust side when the exhaust hit the darker background of the building it kind of mushroomed out and I could see a tint of blue. On the video of the vent tube I checked that a couple weeks ago and you had to really look hard to see a tint of blue, but I do not remember if engine was idleing or if it was full throttle when I checked it. I will recheck it tomorrow and get back to you.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #6  
How many hours are on it? If you said i missed it. It does sound like your burning oil, but honetly unless you want to spend several hundredand pull the pistons etc to re-ring. I think i may just live with that oil use for some years to come. After all how many hours do you put on it a year? If you mow grass each week to the tune of like 5 acres i could see a bunch of hours but i put like 40hours a year on my tractor, so thats like 4 qts through the year which is not that much when you think about it. NOw if your like a farmer or use it in business and run it 10 hours a day, dont think this is the case with this size tractor, but it my be annoying then. But really you should check oil each time you run something so it should not "catch you by suprise" one day and be out of oil if your checking.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #7  
hi yall, i looked at the video and while a haven't seen the smoke from the vent tube, i have seen evidence of an oil on the axle where it exits. i am using some oil too and it does smoke while working under load. is the vent residue a ring issue? or is there another repair? thanks, hp

has 780 hrs.

Last edited:
   / JD 955 burning engine oil #8  
When you replaced the engine oil, what kind of oil did you use?
The engine is worn, as there is quite a bit of blow by. Must be a piston ring / cylinder wall issue. Depending on what you want to do with the tractor, keep it for long time or sell it, I'd put on new rings and check the valves, or not.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil #9  
hi yall, i looked at the video and while a haven't seen the smoke from the vent tube, i have seen evidence of an oil on the axle where it exits. i am using some oil too and it does smoke while working under load. is the vent residue a ring issue? or is there another repair? thanks, hp

has 780 hrs.

Put your hand under the vent tube and see how hard or if it is blowing. If so, most likely ring blowby.

/ JD 955 burning engine oil
Mr Winston and others, no blow by out of vent tube. So correct me if i am wrong, the piston is a slip fit inside of the bore of the cylinder and the rings seal up the slip fit clearance to achieve maximum compression. Having said that then where or how is the crankcase oil getting into the cumbustion chamber to exit the engine as light blue exhaust smoke? The tractor is a 1990 JD 955 with 963 hrs. Plus ll JD 15-40 engine oil is what I am using not sure what previous owner used. Other than engine oil going from full to add in 10 hours tractor starts good, runs smooth, plenty of power. Someone from the JD forum said to change oil more frequently and use a high detergent oil for a couple changes. What brand and weight high detergent oil would any of you recomend?