Our "new" 186D

/ Our "new" 186D
It I star shaped, thanks for the link/video that is a big help!

/ Our "new" 186D #102  
Those funny shaped shafts are common and as long as the mating end you get from TSC has the standard 6 spline shaft to mate with your PTO shaft you will be fine.

/ Our "new" 186D
Well we finally got a day to take the tiller out and break it in. Let me say I have never ran a tractor with a tiller on it so I can't compare the yanmar to anything, but the thing did exactly what I have read and expected it to do. What a BEAST! Only issue we had was dad using it as a stump grinder which resulted in a stalled tractor. What a dust storm we had goin! I made a few shallow passes in the middle of the plot and gradually got deeper, all in all had to go over the plot twice. I am covered with poison ivy today because that's all we were filling through! Oh! Thanks again for the video and tips on cutting the shaft, we used it and took 2" of each to make it fit. Ok now here are some pics and videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvDQPVHnh64&feature=youtube_gdata_player

image-3877606052.jpg

image-1657885333.jpg

image-2674451463.jpg

image-4071591181.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfXi0u46gQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

/ Our "new" 186D
Ok, since the colder weather has arrived I want to make sure we got everything covered. We got the manuals, we have the garage space. We don't have the experience in winterizing a tractor.

Even at 45 degrees I almost freaked out when we were tryin to start the tractor. Is it normal for the 186D to be a cold blooded son of gun!? Thick smoke and all had me scared when we were starting it!

I understand the unburnt fuel, but just want to see if its normal for a Diesel engine to puke smoke when it's cold. When we let it warmup for the reccomended 5 minutes the tractor runs great. Only smoke is at initial start. Should we be using the compression release and is 10-15 seconds too short a time to allow the old glow plugs to work? Should we buy a block heater for cold weather?

Just a few questions, I'm sure ill think of more.

/ Our "new" 186D #105  
I turn the key to TS and count to 20...Then I turn the key to start while holding the compression release out.....once the oil light goes out I push the comp release in and ba boom...we have ignition....actually sometime it starts kind of before the compression release goes in

/ Our "new" 186D #106  
Ditto. Just make sure there is fuel in the Reservoir. I only have to hold mine on for about 10 sec. since the Temp. rarely even drops below Freezing Here in Ga. Im org. from WV. and OH. and knowing the Temp. in the Winter your going to get good at Starting it.;)

/ Our "new" 186D #107  
yea smoke and stuff is common on a deisel. There hard starting when cold. You can use the Tstart. I would hold the comp release open to build oil pressure but it also help warm up the cylinders with the movement in them.

/ Our "new" 186D
Ok, so let me make sure I am understanding the process. If using the compression release and Tstart, I hold the key for at least 20 seconds. While still holding release I immediately turn the engine over?

/ Our "new" 186D #109  
Yep! You don't have to hold the Comp. Release open until you start to turn the Eng. over. Watch for the Oil light to go out and then release it. I don't have to but I believe Yanmar recomends to hold the fuel wide open.

/ Our "new" 186D #110  
Yes...hold the comp release out while turning over. Once the oil pressure light turns off - meaning you have built pressure up, push the comp release in while still cranking and it should fire right up. Also, strong battery and good clean ground connection.