Our "new" 186D

/ Our "new" 186D
Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I missed the oils pressure light, and I was afraid to hold the fuel wide open! I am too cautious I guess!!!

I gotta get all sentimental now, but for what it's worth this forum is one of the best if not the best forum I have ever dealt with. I have never been steered in the wrong direction, my "status" on the forum doesn't seem to matter when I ask for some tips and advice. I have learned a ton just from keeping this thread handy! Thanks again for all the help it is greatly appreciated!!

/ Our "new" 186D #112  
I have found that excessive use of the Thermostart is what makes those clouds of exhaust fumes.

So far I've only had to start my YM186D down to 45 degrees but it starts instantly at that temperature.

My procedure: Throttle at zero. Pull the compression release and crank about 10 seconds; more at even lower temperatures. This cranking warms the cylinders from friction and also, because the Thermostart is wired to the starter circuit, provides the first few seconds to warm the Thermostart heating module.

Then twist key left for 5 seconds (that's all mine needs) to further warm the Thermostart. It is emitting diesel vapor, or flame, during these first two stages so this fuel will show as smoke a moment later.

Finally pull the compression release again, move throttle to 100% (as recommended in the manual) and start cranking. After the engine is spinning fast, about one second, drop the compression release and keep cranking. The inertia of the spinning flywheel assists the starter motor here.

The moment it fires, pull the throttle back to 1500 rpm and warm up at that speed for 5 minutes (recommended in the manual) or a couple of minutes (what everybody really does).

Also - Power Service, gray bottle, will make it start easier but use the moderate, not extreme (double) recommended proportion. If fuel can freeze in your climate then you need white-bottle Power Service instead.

/ Our "new" 186D #113  
I use the same procedure as Cal, I find at 45 or lower, have to use the TS. I have started mine that way down to 10 above. DON"T use starting fluid, it will ruin the engine. I used Cal's method just this AM as the temp dropped to 28.

/ Our "new" 186D #114  
I turn on the TS. first for two reasons. 1. To warm the air in the intake. and 2. Get the TS. hot so when your using the Decompression and waiting for the Oil Pressure to come up it's Warming the Eng. Cyls. with Hot air. It only takes my 2000 will say on average a count to 5 for my Oil Pressure to come up so IMHO thats not enough time for the TS. Element to even get hot. Unless you pre heat it. To each his own but my 2000 Starts just fine without the TS until it drops. in the Mid. to Low 30's. My Reservoir was missing come to find out after I bought it but my TS. worked fine after I wired it up. I Ghetto Rigged a quick connect reservoir that I have only had to use Maybe a handful of times in 5 yrs. here in Ga.

/ Our "new" 186D #115  
Man it takes mine about a 15 count on a cold engine to make the oil light go out. In the summer from a 4 week or so sitting it may take 12-13 seconds?

I dont have any fuel in my tstart. NOt used it since i realized i needed fuel in it. Anyway i had one failed attemp a few years ago to strat around 33F. It probly was my fault as soon as i heard it fire i stopped, them manual says to crank untill its running, on a cold deisel you can get compression and fire but not have it catch. I think this was the problem, anyway a quick second attempt started it no trouble.

/ Our "new" 186D
Block heater? Is it really as bad as I have read? Read a thread on how a custom breaker bar was needed to get the plug out.

/ Our "new" 186D #117  
I have tried to get my block heater access plug off with my impact wrench...with no luck. I may have to make my own square socket and breaker bar. It's square and measures about 3/4" across. I am just worried I may break the block somehow.

/ Our "new" 186D #118  
I have tried to get my block heater access plug off with my impact wrench...with no luck. I may have to make my own square socket and breaker bar. It's square and measures about 3/4" across. I am just worried I may break the block somehow.

I wouldn't mess with the dam thing. Its not worth the risk of stripping I or busting it off in there. I would just use a stick on heater no matter how worthless they say they are

/ Our "new" 186D #119  
I wouldn't mess with the dam thing. Its not worth the risk of stripping I or busting it off in there. I would just use a stick on heater no matter how worthless they say they are

hey I'v had good sucess with a small 200W oil pan heater; one problem is it doesnt fit on the bottom of the oil pan so stick it on the side, and get as much contact as possible; also I put a tarp over the front nd sides of the engine to contain the heat; 1 hr or less seems to help starting plenty at -10C (10-20F). I use the thermal start technique outlined above. And use a winter deisel storage stabilizer / conditioner. And put the battery on the charger; and it helps to have a warm battery.