Our "new" 186D

/ Our "new" 186D
Are there any "special" needs we should take into consideration; a far as working the unit? He said it has all the power he needed and used it to pull shrubs and haul loads of gravel. A friend has used the a 186 with post hole digger and said it was amazingly powerful....

We have 52 acres that we use for hunting an have recently gotten into the forest stewardship program so the tractor will be used for maintains the property, hauling firewood, and brush hogging. We are pretty excited to see how the tractor will do because we have a 1.5 acre piece that we will be putting a foodplot in. Probably going to rent a rototiller for it.

/ Our "new" 186D
Another question I have is, the only thing we have to go off of is his word. So far he has been off a little on the weight, price he paid for the tractor. I read that the hour meter only goes up to 999. Is there a way to find out for sure if it hasn't turned 1,014 hrs????

He seemed like an honest guy and obviously took very good care of the tractor but part of me still can't get over the fact it only has 14hrs on it! 😁

/ Our "new" 186D #13  
14 hours is pretty unlikely. But even if it has 1014 or 2014 it still has a lifetime of use left in it. You can get a rough idea of when it was manufactured by the date stamp in the rear wheels. That is a good looking 186d. You won't believe how useful those little tractors can be.

Chris

/ Our "new" 186D #14  
Another question I have is, the only thing we have to go off of is his word. So far he has been off a little on the weight, price he paid for the tractor. I read that the hour meter only goes up to 999. Is there a way to find out for sure if it hasn't turned 1,014 hrs????

He seemed like an honest guy and obviously took very good care of the tractor but part of me still can't get over the fact it only has 14hrs on it! ��

If he used it for 1000 hours and it still looks like that, it has been so babied the hours don't matter anyway. There is no way to check the hours aside from the meter. It is a mechanical connection from the engine to the tachometer. While it is conceivable someone would unhook the tach to prevent the hour meter from accruing time, it doesn't seem like he had any incentive to do that. The machine looks brand new.

One can infer the amount (or maybe more accurately, the type and severity of use) by looking at the pedals, floorboards, seat, and other parts of the machine. Worn paint or tread plates show lots of use, and probably in a gritty environment.

Missing battery hold down plates are one of my indicators, too: missing or improvised forms of this indicates, to me, someone who had difficulty affording a new battery, and instead cobbled something out of leftovers. While the tractor doesn't care what battery it has, I am always suspicious that a person who cannot buy a $50 battery before losing the battery hold down may not
have been diligent about regular oil and filter changes or other maintenance.

I don't know what you mean by being off on the weight of the thing, but consider giving him a pass on that one. The 186D is a dense block of a compact tractor. I always think mine would be fairly light for some reason, even though I know better. I've never weighed it, but it must weigh around 2000 lbs without me on it: The published weight for the tractor alone is 1538 lbs per Yanmar, and estimating 250 lbs of water in the tires (all 4 are filled), another 175lbs of wheel weights and another 100 lbs for the cultivators, it's over 2000 lbs before the operator is on or the front suitcase weights are added, piling another 250 lbs on.

It is funny to watch a guy who is strong think he can lift the front of it "and just slide it over a bit" on the trailer. :laughing: The engine alone is 250 lbs or so, the suitcase weights are another 250, the axle and tires are at least 250 lbs again. It is pretty tough to dead-lift 800 lbs while hunched over. In other words, although it is the size of an ATV, don't put a couple cinch straps on the tractor and call it good. Those work great for motorcycles, but
are not anywhere near strong enough for these tractors.

I don't think there are any tricks really or things to look out for. The three point lift is very strong and speedy. That makes it tougher to carefully regulate for precise grading. The dipstick for the transmission took me forever to find, since a cultivator hose for mine ran near it. It is under the seat on the left side. Change the oil and filters and start doubling the hours on your new machine!

/ Our "new" 186D #15  
Just for reference there wouldn't be any paint worn off the wear points from use at 14 hours, like the grab handles or the foot rests or the pedals.

It appears to have had something slung underneath at one time.

Chris

/ Our "new" 186D
Very good advice thanks a ton! He said that the tractor alone weighed 4,000 lbs is where I found he was off. Not a big deal but definitely got the mind wandering, but I will post more pics Saturday when we get it to his house. As far as the wear you talked about it is almost non existent. Thanks again for all the advice i really appreciate it!!

/ Our "new" 186D #17  
There is a ton of information here in the past Yanmar threads. Well worth some reading time. I think the sales brochure is posted somewhere which includes specs. You can still get the manuals from one of the dealers or off Ebay.

Chris

/ Our "new" 186D #18  
They are heavy, but not 4000 lbs heavy, even with the attachments you listed. :laughing:

I have a copy of the original brochures here provided by rScotty.

/ Our "new" 186D #19  
One more thing that would verify 14 hours: on the tires, there should still be some mold flash or rubber pins sticking up (mold vents) in the tread. Those have lasted at least 40+ hours beyond my purchase date on both tractors.

My YM186D has substantial wear to the chrome shift lever where it goes into the 'gate' on the instrument panel. Visible wear there might prove higher hours.

/ Our "new" 186D #20  
Wow......nice looking 186D! Great little tractor.....I really like mine. Hard to believe only 14 hrs.....but than again.....my mother-in-laws 1985 Honda Civic has 42K on it. Enjoy the tractor! :thumbsup: