Yanmar 1500

/ Yanmar 1500 #1  

Kyhunter42

Tractor
Yanmar 1500
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I'm sure I will have many more after this one. I recently bought a Yanmar 1500 and it is my first tractor. It came with a Woods RM59 finish mower and a 4' box blade. The guy I bought it from could tell a lot about it and I have been able to use this site to figure out a couple of things about my tractor. I will be using my tractor to maintain 350' of gravel driveway, mowing 2.5 ac field in front of my house, and to do some leveling of my yard (removing ruts from where crops were planted many years ago).

I have noticed that my tractor overheats while I am mowing. It only takes about 15 minutes for the light to come on. The guy I have bought it from said he thought it might need a Radiator cap. I ordered a new cap and I plan on flushing the coolant and ensuring it has the correct mixture. Hopefully this will solve the issue. I have seen aftermarket water pumps for these tractors and I was wondering if they are worth buying? Do anyone have any experience with these?

I also had a question about mowing with my Woods RM59. The guy I bought it from said that I should use the mower in the #2 PTO. I was able to find what the PTO rpm are for my tractor, but I am not sure what RPM the mower needs to be run at? Does anyone know? I've tried the Woods website and they do not have the manual for this mower listed.

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

• Yanmar.JPG
    Yanmar.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 7,065
   / Yanmar 1500 #2  
Unless your 1500 has had it added you do not have a water pump. Here are instrucitons for it. Yanmar Tractor Overheating

Your mower rpm should be 540. You should use #1 pto gear with tractor at 2200 or so rpm.

/ Yanmar 1500
Thanks for the info on the PTO and the mower. I wasn't sure about that.

/ Yanmar 1500 #5  
Overheating in 2012 in a 1970's tractor would point to a clogged radiator. Take it off and have a professional shop boil it out.

Spending money on ordinary maintenance is better than spending to monitor the unresolved problem (temperature gauge) or patching around it (adding a water pump. Yanmar designed this to not need a water pump).

After the cooling system is restored to original spec, the engine should be able to run continuous at full output and never overheat. If you aren't powering a ditch pump or something like that with heavy continuous load, you'll never stress it that hard.

You might first try radiator cleanout chemicals but I don't think that will be sufficient to open the clogged tubes in the radiator. That might help to clean the block in preparation for the professionally-cleaned radiator.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 1500
I picked up a 13lb radiator cap today and replaced the old one. The old one was missing the gasket at the top. I mowed with it in 7th gear and in the #1 PTO for about 2 hrs with no problems. Hopefully that fixed the overheating.

/ Yanmar 1500 #7  
Really Yanmar 1500 is best tractor i see in my life in heavy equipment category. Many tractors i found but Yanmar is excellent.

/ Yanmar 1500 #8  
wont hurt to give it a good flush out anyway and add 25/75 coolant to water. that way you know its right. i can run mine flat out all day in all conditions and it never runs hot.

/ Yanmar 1500 #9  
Good advice so far. I would make sure the radiator is clean and clear, that includes the inside and outside. You sometimes have to remove it to get all the fluff and seeds out of it. But that cap could and most likely was a problem but i dont think thats entirely the cause as they dont really get worked hard enough to overheat at atmospheric pressure i dont think in 15 mins. Is it possible that someone overheated it prior to you getting it if it overheats that fast? And yes i will second the 1st gear on the pto equaling 540 rpms. and keep it in the 2000rpm range give or take, but yes 2200 is the correct spot.

/ Yanmar 1500
I ran the tractor for 8hrs today with no problem. I'm going flush the radiator Monday when I get home.