Oil in hydraulics

/ Oil in hydraulics #1  

SailorBob

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
Hi guys. I have not posted in quite a while. My tractor (YM1700) sat up for over a year due to personal issues. Anyway, i charged the battery and it fired right up and ran great until the good fuel ran out. I then realized that I had water in fuel. I drained and flushed the tank, replaced the fuel filter. It runs great again. I did some driveway work with the box and everything was fine. After I shut it down I checked my fluids and discovered the hydraulic fluid was milky. I an sure it is water on there too. I checked it again after it sat a couple of days and it was not milky. Do you think I can get away with just draining the water from the drain plug or do I have to drain it all and replace? Money is really tight right now. So, I don't want to spend money that is not necessary.

Thanks,

Bob

/ Oil in hydraulics #2  
If money is tight, I'd likely just drain the water from the lowest drain points. Keep in mind, the fluid may settle in multiple places, so you may need to drain in a couple of spots to get all of the water out. Then top it off and get back to it.

Of course, there is also the issue of how it got in there.

/ Oil in hydraulics
Thanks for the reply. That is what I hoped someone would say. The water probably goyim thru the shifter boot. I had it covered with a tarp but, it rotted.

/ Oil in hydraulics #4  
Draining the low spots would be a temp fix. I would opt to clean out all the hydronic fluid to prevent the water from causing expensive damage. Replace the boot while you are at it.

/ Oil in hydraulics #5  
If money is tight [BTDT, but thankfully that was 40 years ago] then some time when the tractor won't be run for a while you might drain the hydraulic fluid into a covered bucket and let the water settle to the bottom for a few days. As you pour it back in, it should be obvious when to stop. Or, conclude that it is mandatory to replace it.

Kinda related - I have kept the gear oil topped up in my rotary mower but hadn't changed it. I figured my few hours a year was minimal use. But today before running it for its sixth season, I drained and replaced the oil. I should have done this sooner. This oil had settled for months, and the first half that came out was heavy slime - probably dust and water mixed with oil. At total time probably under 30 hours I doubt this wore it out, but I hate to abuse equipment like that.

Also I see the Yanmar tiller's gear oil is homogenized with water. I replaced that oil last year, and now I need to do it again. I can't see how moisture is getting into it.

/ Oil in hydraulics #6  
My understanding is that oil will absorb moisture from the atmosphere.
If equipment is used regularly the heat gererated can get rid of the oil.
If, however, equipment is left standing, particularly over winter, this does not happen and the water builds up to a level that running the equipment will not remove.

/ Oil in hydraulics
I tried draining the water but, that did not look good. I let the tractor sit for about a week before draining too. After draining about a gallon if milky fluid I decided that I would have to bite the bullet and drain it all. I can clean the strainer screen while I am at it. Hopefully, this should get most of the water out of it. I don't really see any way to completely drain everything.

/ Oil in hydraulics #8  
add some of the oil back.. then dump in a gallon of diesel, then 2 pints of 90% rubbing alcohol.. run her around the yard. drain.. drip dry.. add new oil.

likely screen is now fine.

water is polar.. alcohol is a polar solvent.. wil disolve it and carry it in soloution.. any leftover emulsified oil will be thinned and disolved by diesel and alcohol mix...

I flush all mu sumps on old tractors this way. on smaller sumps.. I use diesel, atf and alcohol.. etc..

/ Oil in hydraulics
That makes sense. I'll do that.

Thanks

/ Oil in hydraulics #10  
Had a similar situation with my engine oil. After my second spring time mowing I changed the oil and what came out was milky. This scared me good. Refilled it with fresh oil, ran it for 10 minutes and it was still milky.
I'm thinking head gasket. Sent it up to the dealer who checked it out from top to bottom, including a pressure test on the radiator. They found nothing wrong and wrote it off to condensation even though the tractor is kept indoors. I don't understand how moist air can get into a diesel engine.