Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice???

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice???
I guess the trailer is moot since I'll just get a larger one later if I need to move the tractor. For now, I just need to get a good, reliable tractor with available parts and easy to add implements (chipper, brush hog, back hoe). Earth moving, log lifting, rock moving will require some serious power. I'm leaning towards 35+ HP based on the feedback so far. Maybe I'm wrong since I've never owned a tractor before.

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #32  
I have a 24 hp yanmar ym2000. I dont have a loader, but a friend near me has an JD855. Its 4wd 24hp as well and has a loader. Its newer of a tractor and more delux looking than the yanmar. But because my tractor is at the farm most of the time, i will borrow hers to use things at the house from time to time. the loader to lift my wood stove, or post hole digger for holes every so often. Anyway lifting my woodstove which was close to 600#s was close to that loaders limits. i could hear the realif squealing depending upon the motion i choose. Dont get me wront it would lift it all the way up and fine it was just approaching its limit. I was not ballasted in the rear but it had not lifted yet. But im thinking you would not lift 800#s up front. Point, if your talk9ing moving oak trees they will have to not be to big a diameter to do so or cut short for you to move them and lift them safely with a 24hp tractor.

I'll definitely need to lift more than 600lbs at times. I have a lot of rock (ledge) in my yard and there are some pretty large rocks laying on top of the soil that need to be moved, if not lifted. The logs will be cut up, although I may need to lift some 8-12' logs about 18-24" in diameter. I just don't want to rush into this purchase and regret it later. The other issue is trying to find a tractor locally so that I don't have to fork out 1-2K just to ship it to my house. I'd rather save that $$$ to buy attachments.

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #34  
My tractor will move a ton or so its the same tractor as a 3110 or 336 these are a lot bigger than the 15-1700's and they are available used or refurbed mine is pretty hard to find in any dealer just food for thought as we are all pretty fond of Yanmar and hope you get what suits your needs.

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #35  
The loader on the 24 hp will lift more than 600lbs. Thats about what the wood stove weighed. It lifted it but you could tell it was a load. It would probably lift more than that like i said, but you would not want to time and time again. If you have big rocks to move you probably need a tractor in the 35+ hp range. Just to clarify i am talking a JD855 24 hp tractor and loader. This is a yanmar type Jd tractor though, it is the next frame size up than those 1500 or 1700's as well!! Cardoc has the next size up and therefore a stronger loader, which will allow grater capacity.

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #36  
The loader on the 24 hp will lift more than 600lbs. Thats about what the wood stove weighed. It lifted it but you could tell it was a load. It would probably lift more than that like i said, but you would not want to time and time again. If you have big rocks to move you probably need a tractor in the 35+ hp range.
Agree. The 600 gallon water tank in this picture has an ID plate stating 650 lbs. It was right at the limit of what the YM240 (YM2000) should lift. Even with the oversized rear tires filled with water ballast it felt like if I got that tank swinging side to side, it would have flopped the tractor over on its side. I basically lifted the tank and drove the trailer out from under it. Then moving forward just a few feet on sloping and uneven ground was spooky.

OK....found this one local. JD1050 w/loader and backhoe - guy wants $9,500. Comments???

1988 John Deere Model 1050
Front Loader/Backhoe
4X4 Turf Tires
3 point hitch
PTO 1988
1 Owner
2100 hours
diesel

6998ekd_20.jpeg2262260_20.jpeg7602ii1_20.jpeg45098a0_20.jpeg1974j0l_20.jpeg84672j0_20.jpeg

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #38  
looks great...not sure about the price,...but loade, bh, turf tires, rops and canopy that sounds pretty good I would think. Plus...there might be room for negotiation ;)

Saw a 2wd with 3K hours with loader for $3600 on craighlist NH as a reference

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #39  
OK....found this one local. JD1050 w/loader and backhoe - guy wants $9,500. Comments???

1988 John Deere Model 1050
Front Loader/Backhoe
4X4 Turf Tires
3 point hitch
PTO 1988
1 Owner
2100 hours
diesel

View attachment 271011View attachment 271012View attachment 271013View attachment 271014View attachment 271015View attachment 271016

That is the very same tractor as mine except in Green which is closer in ability to what you are asking for imho. Loaders go for $35-4500 same with BH's so with a canopy and all yes probably in the ballpark price wise.

Remember as always price is what a seller will take and a buyer will pay work the price down as far as you can.

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #40  
IMHO Worth checking into. If I was in the market I would go have a looksee. The only prob. I see may be the Turf tires. With 4wd may over come the possible loss of traction for Loader work digging ect. May not have any trouble but they can easily be changed.