Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice???

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #1  

Eric67ct

Bronze Member
Tractor
1983 John Deere 212, 1988 John Deere 1050
A local guy is selling these (2) tractors and I came to this forum for some Yanmar-advice. Would you say that these are a good deal? I am looking for a good tractor for mt 2 acre rural CT property. I only have about 10K to spend. I found this guy locally selling these "factory refurbished" models. Is this something I should look further into or stay away from?

Thanks,
Eric
Bethany, CT

1st Model
Price:$7,000
Date Posted:06/08/12
Description:
FOR SALE IS A YANMAR MODEL YM1500D, 4X4 COMPACT TRACTOR, 19HP YANMAR DIESEL ENGINE. TOTAL OF 6 SPEEDS FORWARD AND 2 REVERSE. NEW FRONT LOADER AND REAR 3PT HITCH, 2 SPEED 540 & 770 REAR PTO AND A CAT 1 3PT HITCH. TRACTOR HAS ONLY 16 HOURS ON IT.
YANMAR_YM1500D-6.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-5.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-4.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-3.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-2.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-1.jpg

2nd Model
Price:$10,500
Date Posted:05/28/12
Description:
FOR SALE IS A YANMAR MODEL 1700 COMPACT TRACTOR, 4X4 WITH NEW LOADER,REAR PTO,CAT. 1 3PT HITCH AND A MASSEY/FERGUSON BACKHOE. TRACTOR HAS APPRO 16 HOURS ON IT. LIKE NEW CONDITION. PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL ME FOR MORE INFORMATION ON TRACTOR. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED.
YANMAR_YM1700-8.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-7.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-6.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-5.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-4.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-3.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-2.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-1.jpg

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #2  
That's the guy in east haven.....right.....I bought some suitcase weights off of him...I don't think he has the capability to fix or support after the sale. Those tractors are Vietnamese refurbs probably from vn-1 tractors. The yanmar is a great tractor and many people have had good luck with the Vietnamese reconditioned but many have not. Read up on this forum and others on the refurbing process from vn tractors. Btw, my 2020D is one not sure where it came from but the V Teks loader is a dead giveaway.

either tractor is great from what other members have said.....and you defiently came to the right place for good info on Yanmars...

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice???
Scotty,
Yeah, that's the EH guy. Never dealt with him. He's firm on the prices....I'm just leary of refurbs and never bought a SCUT before. I really want to get the 1700 but spending 10K, I wasn't too sure. I want quality for that amount of $$$ or else I'll just look for an older G/Y/B/O tractor. Thoughts???

--Eric

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #4  
For that much money I would shop around and even consider buying out of your area. Ya you would have to pay for trucking but might be cost effective. PM me if you want the name of an independent trucker that hauls larger trucks and equipment all over the US..he delivered a tractor from WI to NC for me. Good luck with your decision!

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #5  
Frederick does refurbing in the US and I almost bought one from them....Spaulding down in GA resells Fredericks tractors and I hear he has an excellent reputation too

In fact - Frericks lists a 1700D for $5500...that includes a better Koyker loader. maybe you could negotitate a better price or free shipping...and still beat this guys price

http://fredricksequipment.com/yanmar/

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #6  
I'd be real leary.......the ad is totally misrepresenting the hours. 16 hrs?? No way.....maybe 1600 hrs. Not that high hours are a bad thing.....these little diesels go a long time. But what else is he fibbing about???? Be careful!!

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice???
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice and links. I'll check out Fredericks and see what's available. What about the "other" manufacturers. Would it be out of my price point 9-10K to even research them?

-Eric

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #8  
Personally, I think the best value in the used tractor world in Yanmar. I am sure you can find a good one in the other brand within your budget...but I felt I would rather have a few bucks in my pocket for buying attachments. There are also US made Yanmar like the YM 240 and YM 186 that I see around us from tiem to time too.

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #9  
They are VN w/o a doubt the vteks loader is a dead give away as Scotty said. And just for conversation the 1700 has the self leveling loader and the hoe is a pretty decent self contained pto driven pump hoe and looks to be in great condition thats is a probably $2000-2500 piece alone. It may be too big for the weight of the tractor but it would come in very handy sometimes.

The 16 hours issue is another thing the VN's are known for apparently the hours are since rebuild is my guess it sure isn't true hours.

My buddy bought a VN 1610D last year and has had several small issues that he was able to repair himself and overall its been an awesome little tractor so far. Point being is anyone can build something right and anyone can screw something up too so its a crap shoot buying a refurb no matter who you buy from. my .002 from experience ;)

/ Yanmar YM1500D & 1700 Tractors - Looking to purchase - Advice??? #10  
Personally, I think the best value in the used tractor world in Yanmar. I am sure you can find a good one in the other brand within your budget...but I felt I would rather have a few bucks in my pocket for buying attachments. There are also US made Yanmar like the YM 240 and YM 186 that I see around us from tiem to time too.
Just my $.002 - I think Yanmars are the best value until the seller is asking north of say $6,000. Above that you break into good used tractors from other brands as well and should consider all available alternatives before deciding.

As for YM240 and YM186D - Excellent models, but the good ol boy US farmers were harder on these than the typical Japanese rice-plot farmer who only ran his Yanmar a few hours per year. I have one of each, both run as nice as you would expect for a 5 year old tractor, but both look well thrashed like typical 30 year old US construction or farm equipment. It is rare to find a clean US Yanmar.