Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #1  

4man

Tractor
Farmtrac DTC360 w/FEL
New to tractors having no experiece and making an investment hoping to save and also to maybe make some money since I'm on soc/sec and a very limited income. I have found the YM2310d 4wd w/fel-tiller-post hole attachment-has 1750 hrs and was rebuilt by rco tractors in Austin at 1400 hrs can buy for asking price #10k
the Mahindra C4005 is 2wd w/fel only has 160 hrs and asking $9500.
My wants are a tractor that I won't need to worry about parts and be able to do some repairs myself ,I know everything needs repair sooner or later so which will be less trouble. Neither have a dealer closer than 50 miles. I will be doing some landscaping-driveway-mowing-foodplots-gardens-and moving logs and dirt. Please share your thoughts and wisdom as I really can't afford to buy the wrong unit. With the Mahindra I would need to buy a bush hog and a plow/disc or a tiller, with the Yanmar I would need a bush hog. I know from reading on the net the weight of the Mahindra may be better for me than the 4wd of the Yanmar, but no personal experience leaves many questions.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #2  
The Mahindra weighs about twice the Yanmar and is much bigger in size. So for that think about transporting your tractor if that is going to be in the picture. Also, will your work be in tight places or all in the wide open spaces?

May be room for much discussion but in my book a four wheel drive tractor with a fel is much superior to a 2 wheel drive with a front end loader.

Many more items to be considered and I'm sure others will have thoughts to share. These are just a couple that I feel pretty important. Not really recommending either for you, just a couple of things to ponder.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI
The Mahindra weighs about twice the Yanmar and is much bigger in size. So for that think about transporting your tractor if that is going to be in the picture. Also, will your work be in tight places or all in the wide open spaces?

May be room for much discussion but in my book a four wheel drive tractor with a fel is much superior to a 2 wheel drive with a front end loader.

Many more items to be considered and I'm sure others will have thoughts to share. These are just a couple that I feel pretty important. Not really recommending either for you, just a couple of things to ponder.

Thank you winston1,I don't know enough about the weight vs 4wd vs power(45vs27) , the dealership with the YM2310 is about 150 miles from me but seem to be a great family run business who from what I've read on net people only have nice thing to say about ROC tractors of Austin. The closest Mahindra is about 60 miles away and I know nothing about. I've heard of Mahindra before but not of Yanmar.
Now a lady with a JohnDeere 4wd w/fel and bush hog has called me an will sell her 870 for less than either the Ym2310 or the Mahindra. The JD is 28hp and has 1100 hrs.. Now I have just a little more confusion as the jd has more weight less hrs and is 4wd vs the YM2310 4wd 1700 hrs plus implements.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #4  
All three are comparable in value, but the Deere will have the best resale value next year or years from now.

Yanmar built Deere's smaller tractors, I think including that one, so Yanmar/Deere is a tossup on inherent quality but the market for resale is broader for the Deere.

The advantage of the Yanmar is the Powershift transmission which is very valuable for close work like mowing. (Or hilly terrain). As Winston said, for some applications there is no substitute for sufficient weight so for discing etc the advantage goes to the Mahindra.

Buy em all! :D

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #5  
I'm a little nervous chiming in here, so take this all with a grain of salt, and remember what you paid for it. :D the others have given excellent advice, and I do not disagree with them.

You need to define your tasks better. Go "must have," "regularly useful to have," and "would like to have." part of my concern is you say that you are new to tractors. There is nothing wrong with that, but it can make things difficult when determining your job list and anticipating capabilities.

For instance, putting in a garden has vastly different meanings to people. If you plan to use the machine to only break open the ground and keep
everything by hand, anything will work. If your food plots are 50x50 feet, a smaller machine than the 2310 will be in order. If landscaping to you means moving several hundred cubic yards of earth to fix the contour of the yard and driveway, you need something much larger. For moving and cutting into the dirt, heavier is better.

Bigger machines get heavier more quickly than their footprint increases in size. As was said, if you mainly plan to disc and move dirt with a box blade, buy the Mahindra, of those listed options. The weight will make perform better. If all you really want to do is mow lawns and then, sometimes, maybe do some odd grading of driveways, disking for food plots and dragging a few trees a year out for firewood, go buy a nice commercial lawn mower and any major brand two wheel drive tractor for 3-4 thousand dollars.

I grew up on an orchard, and my grandparents farmed; I don't remember NOT operating a tractor from the time I was 7 or so years old. We never had anything with a loader on it, and I didn't know useful it would be until I bought a little Yanmar 1401D. That is not to say we didn't move dirt: I moved vast amounts of dirt with a box blade. It is still a better and faster tool for many dirt jobs than a loader.

Picking your tools will be tough, too. I have a post hole digger. I use it every year. But I hate it. No other implement I have puts me in more danger, causes more aggravation, or is a larger nuisance. If you plan to use one often, I wish you well. What IS useful is the boom pole the auger head mounts onto. I have pulled engines, lifted animal carcasses and boat hulls, hoisted terribly heavy axles, implements, and all manner of things with it. That may not be of use to you. A loader may not be, either.

Loaders aren't meant to dig holes. Naturally, I do that regularly. 4 wheel
drive really helps backing out of a hole. Otherwise, for loader work, I don't find there to be much difference. If I operated on very hilly terrain I would say the reverse, I think. Loaders make a tractor bulky, cumbersome, and difficult to maneuver when operating in dense environments or in smaller areas. California and I each have small, heavy YM186Ds without a loader for exactly the same reasons: they will pull small, heavily ballasted disks under or near our fruit trees. Our loader equipped YM240s are too tall to work in the close quarters of an orchard as easily or well. So, do you need the loader for placing mulch or precise loads of gravel?

Where will your food plots be, and, if off-site, what do you have to transport your equipment? It takes a REALLY long trailer to transport a brush mower, disc, and tractor in one trip. You won't be able to do it with a normal equipment trailer. How big is your tow vehicle? If you are going to be towing any of those machines with implements, anything under a 1/2 ton pickup isn't really safe or responsible in my book. California has weighed his bare YM240 at something like 3000 lbs with a loader and larger tires. All of the machines you mention are heavier than that.

I would suggest renting an equivalent machine to the Yanmar or Deere, and to the Mahindra, if you can find one. If not, find a comparable size 4wd and operate it in 2wd only. (Brand doesn't matter) Try out
the tools you think you will need. Sometimes renting a big skid steer, or excavator, or loader/backhoe, or what have you means the job is done in a day or so with no undue strain on equipment. You can be money ahead and not have useless equipment once complete.

Do you have neighbors or friends with equipment? If so, how do they use it, and what would they do differently?

The Powershift in the 2310 is superior in usability to the straight gear tractors. The Mahindra will outplow or disk the others.

All should be easy to work on. The Yanmar has added complexity in the transmission. They are virtually trouble-free, though. It seems like you will end up with an Internet-based support system. (ie, no dealer) I think all three are about equal there. Are there any other options on craigslist or local classified service?

I don't think I told you much that is useful, but let us know what you decide, and take pictures!

Last edited:
   / Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #6  
Now that the John Deere 870 is in the picture let me attach the Tractor Data sheet on it. Not sure how aware you are of the different internet sights that help us tractor nuts. TractorData.com John Deere 870 tractor information You can look up the Mahindra or Yanmar on this same sight and get some information. Maybe not quite as much as the John Deere.

Not knowing the true condition on any of these tractors it would be impossible to make a good decision for me. If all three are equal I would be giving the John Deere a close look.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #7  
Id buy the 870 if it was me. Thats a good tractor. But really those 2 tractors are not close in power to the manihandra, that would be i was thinking 40+ hp and i think you just put 45hp. The yanmar is obviously 23hp at the pto or like you said 27 engine HP. Now if your gonna do big foodplots up to a few acres in size you may really want to consider something the size of the manihandra so your not there for 2 straight days cutting it then disking it all under. Plus no matter how hard you try if there is deep sod or thick grass you will never get through it with the yanmar where the manihandra can pull a heavier disk to bust it up.

You need to decide what you really want to do to get it done. But now that the JD is in the picture i hate to say in my opinion the yanmar is out, as they are comparable tractors and the resale and the chaper price are a no brainer. that 870 is a complete yanmar built tractor not just the engine.

Manihandra is a good tractor from what i have read. I would consider them if i was buying a new tractor today, only new as you dont see many used ones really.

Parts for the yanmar will probly be the easist and possibly the cheapest to get.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI
Thanks for all of your suggestions, you guys really know your(and mine)stuff... after reading the information you've sent me I now am considering none of the above, as since I have no experience the FEL may cause me more trouble than I can get out of. So now I'm looking at a 1999 Mahindra 475 with 5ft bush hog-a finish mower-and a box blade. Maybe after learning how to use this less expensive tractor with the attachments I may decide to look for a FEL for it or and newer model with the loader.
Thanks again for your thought's and helping me realize not to bit off more than I can chew.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #9  
4man -- One advantage of buying a used tractor from a private seller is that you will likely to be able to re-sell the tractor for about what you paid. When I bought my first tractor, I wasn't clear on how I would use it. This year I sold my first tractor and bought a different tractor because now I know much better what I need.

/ Yanmar2310d vs 1999 MAHINDRA C4005 DI #10  
The yanmar and deere will be easiest to fix and the manihandra will be complex as they are more electrical and modern.

I did not get a loader. And really have not missed it. I bought a $100 boom pole to lift things into the truck or on trailer. But unless you plan on moving lots of dirt you dont really need a loader, yea there nice but farmers for years got buy without them doing exactly what you are planning on. I have a 3pt scoop that willmove a bit of dirt, i have yet to really use it but many folks ahve moved tons of dirt with them.