These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #1  

Pete Judd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186d, JD 314
Stopped by NAPA today on my way back from the JD dealer to pick up an oil filter. A young blonde gal (my guess about 30) asked if she could help. I said "I need an oil filter for a Yanmar 186", and she said what? So I repeated, and them spelled Y-A-N-M-A-R. She told me she did not know what that was. I told here to look it up on her computer, as the manager walked over and started looking over her back. She then said " I'll be dammed, it's a 1568 and we have 6 in stock. The manager smiled, knew that the counter person learned something today, and I was out the door 12 bucks lighter.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #2  
That turned out ok. I hate talking to the craftsman parts "experts" on phone. They have no idea what these parts do and have never turned a wrench in their lives.

I am the modern man...my smart phone smells of diesel & grease.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #3  
Thats why i buy ALL of my auto parts from my PC and either send my wife to just pick up the order or i go and get it when in town. I save up to 40% at Advance auto by buying online, but more importantly roughly half the folks working there are no help and it takes forever. They ask stupid "computer" generated questions that wont matter in the application im looking for. For example, does your fullsize have AC or not, and i tell them i need a U joint! "i know but the pc asks me" OK Whats the vin code K or L, " i dont know im in the woods right now working". Well i have to have that, its not going to matter i say. She says yes as it helps select the correct part. Wife gets on phone (truck is in drive 25+ miles from both of us) she says... and i respond i know what she wants to know but its not going to matter for a U joint!!! The 2 engine codes shes asking me about (already selected 5.7L for the engine) is wether its the 2 barrel or 4 barrel. I dont remember the engine code BUT its not the original engine anyway in it (dont matter as it would go by original equiptment motor) and their pc wont tell them that just asks code so i cnat tell her 4barrel carb cause she cant pick it!! errrrrrr She's to GREEN to realize this is not an important question and keeps hounding my wife finially i just say K!!

YES THIS REALLY HAPPENED! I think this is the point i started ordering online about 2 yrs ago.

And for the record 12 years ago i use to work in a parts place and was green myself at one time. But after the first few days i realized they application and questions that needed to be asked. I also had sense enough to know something like a u joint does not matter if it has AC!!! or is a 4Barrel Carb or not!

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #4  
It is really frustrating when you know there are only a couple of suppliers of the part to all the machine manufacturers, you have the supplier's part number, but the "system" can help you because you don't have the SERIAL NUMBER for your machine.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #5  
Pretty funny Pete......I have one for you. I restore and maintain horse drawn vehicles for a hobby and for a local carriage museum. I needed to replace some wagon bows on a covered wagon. Went to Home Depot not to far from you. Asked one of their clerks if they had ash in 14+ feet lengths for some bows I was putting on a covered wagon. He asked me...seriously.....how I would tie a knot in that long of a board. I replied.....very slowly and carefully. I guess he thought I was gift wrapping the wagon for somebody???? Good thing I didn't ask him for a double tree.....probably would have sent me out to the garden dept.:)

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #6  
It is amazing how clueless these parts people are. It seems as though they hire people with zero knowledge of anything automotive. Who knows, maybe to indoctrinate in their own image?
I occasionally need something for a homemade radical salt flat type street rod I have. It resmbles nothing and yet they insist on a make and year even though I explain there is no make or year. "I just need a 28" inch fan belt and you can cross-reference it."
I have since given up and shop at Summit Racing. I even mail ordered my 3.50-4.00 x 8 lawnmower tire from them.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #7  
Shoot, I once drove 20 miles to a car dealer to get a part, which they told me was in stock the previous day. I walk in with the part number, and told the guy I called yesterday and it was in stock. He says he can't look it up without the car's VIN, which I didn't have with me of course. We argued for 10 minutes about this, and I finally walked out in frustration. The guy honestly didn't seem to give a hoot at all.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #8  
... then add in the complexity of misunderstood foreign languages.

Don't claim you remember some highschool Spanish and tell the parts guy you are 'embarazado' that you forgot to write down the VIN.
Or that you 'honestly' cant remember it.

He's going to laugh his head off.

You probably aren't pregnant, and he doesn't care whether you are true to your wife.

:D

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #9  
I occasionally need something for a homemade radical salt flat type street rod I have.

I'd like to know more about your machine, and see some pictures.

On topic, I have had very mixed results with parts clerks. The local Napa saleswoman was able to match the ignition points for my IH 284 by eye alone, without even being given a part number. Another shop has an extraordinarily sharp, but very young female manager, who has more part numbers memorized than the rest of the employees cumulatively, it seems.

For other employees, less a credit to their companies, I have had to explain how valve stem caps are not make and model specific, that a 1/2" bolt is not one which takes a 1/2" wrench on the head, and that a spark plug, so long as properly cross referenced, does not need to be purchased from a cycle shop in order to go into a motorcycle.

I get frustrated by the computerization of auto parts stores, because it enables hiring staff who don't know anything more than following flowcharts, but I really like the ease for me at home to check inventory at the stores myself, and to simply ask for specific items by part number.

/ These kids, or a funny happend at the NAPA store today. #10  
I try to stick with the parts guys who, after giving you the part, say "now when you are putting this on, be careful of ...." These are the guys who deserve repeat business.