Buying Advice Trying to buy a plow

/ Trying to buy a plow #1  

jb2010

I'm looking to buy a plow for my 2wd ym2220. I am wondering if it will pull a 2 x 12" bottom turning plow. If it will do it without causing traction problems then I'm all over it but I have no clue. I just don't want to get it and my tractor spin out and get me nowhere. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm getting it in excellent condition for 175.00. It does not have the disc on it. Does that make a difference? Thx in advance.

/ Trying to buy a plow #2  
My opinion would be it will not successfully pull a 2 bottom plow. I don't understand "It does not have the disc on it".

/ Trying to buy a plow
winston1 said:
My opinion would be it will not successfully pull a 2 bottom plow. I don't understand "It does not have the disc on it".

Some of the plows i have seen have a disc behind the wedge. I guess it's to split the dirt as it comes up. I didn't know if there was an advantage or disadvantage.

/ Trying to buy a plow #4  
The disc is called a coulter, it should be mounted in front of the plow. Its purpose is to slice through the grass/weeds to prevent them from wadding up and causing the plow to pop up. As far as whether you can pull a 2 bottom, I would lean towards no. An old farmer told me figure 20hp per bottom, and have adequate weight to maintain traction. It will also depend on soil conditions. Good luck.

/ Trying to buy a plow
Ok. I guess I had the pic backwards in my mind. Thx for the info.

/ Trying to buy a plow #6  
I think you are referring to a furrow wheel which is mounted behind the moldboard. A coulter is mounted ahead of the moldboard.

Steve

PloughMainParts.jpg