Comparison Yanmar lawsuit.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #21  
The lawsuit specifically targets the sale of "Zen-Noh" tractors as well.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #22  
So is it just me or is this a direct result of Yanmar USA selling US spec tractors in the US again and not wanting to compete with itself with the gray market tractors? One thing I see in the suit is they dont include a tractors age that is a problem in other legal areas as well besides trademark infringement IMO. Looks like UTDA dealers will be ok?

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #23  
I do not have or ever driven any Yanmar.

Of all the well supported used tractors on the market today what drives someone to buy a grey market or non gray market Yanmar in the USA?

The ones that I see look to be about 18 HP but I assume they are great tractors in some types of farming.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #24  
Iwhat drives someone to buy a grey market or non gray market Yanmar in the USA? The ones that I see look to be about 18 HP but I assume they are great tractors in some types of farming.

John Deere quality at 1/3 the price. (Yanmar built Deere's smaller models for a couple of decades).

These aren't well matched to the sort of farming you likely need the MF 265 for. They are more in the smaller chore tractor category. One of my US Yanmars was originally bought for chores around a riding stable when it was new. The other one was last used only for snow removal at a long rural driveway. Think of the applications for a skid steer instead of a farm tractor; these fit more in that category rather than plowing etc. (But excellent for rototilling, with their high HP/weight ratio.)

The models that Yanmar used to sell here, and most of the gray models brought over subsequently, are extremely simple durable designs. They run years before they need anything and then repairs are about as simple as fixing a flat tire. Many don't have, and don't need, a water pump. Few have a fuel lift pump or fuel shutoff solenoid. The earlier ones don't have thermostats. The gas gauge is generally a float built as part of the fuel fill cap. (or often a transparent tank and no gauge). I used to do my own auto maintenance 30 years ago before cars became complicated. The maintenance and minor renovations I've done on my 30 year old Yanmars matches my (amateur) skill level. Parts have never been a problem, but the new owner should recognize that all parts are mailorder so these aren't suitable for use where it is critical to have replacement parts the same afternoon.

Your topic of 'Why Yanmar' really deserves its own thread, since this new issue of dealers being sued is critical to the continued use of Yanmars already imported here.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #25  
I have a new Yanmar 2012 Sc2450 and I really like it. I picked Yanmar because of the dealer. The other SCUT dealers were not friendly and why pay more for a unit just to have a different color. I live in Powder Springs which is less than 50 mi from the Yanmar USA assembly Factory in Adairsville, GA. I bought my Yanmar from the Cub Cadet Dealer in Cartersville, GA. If I had bought it last year it would have been the same unit but all the manuals, decals and paint would have said Cub Cadet Yanmar (CCY). It is my understanding that all the Cub Cadet Dealers will now be also Yanmar dealers for the same units that use to be sold under the CCY name. The only dealers that Yanmar USA is going after are those dealers that are selling the gray models as a new unit and are not a Yanmar authorized dealer. If I was a corporation and I had US exclusive rights to a product I wouldn't want anyone else horning in on my territory.

JMNSHO!

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #26  
John Deere quality at 1/3 the price. (Yanmar built Deere's smaller models for a couple of decades).

These aren't well matched to the sort of farming you likely need the MF 265 for. They are more in the smaller chore tractor category. One of my US Yanmars was originally bought for chores around a riding stable when it was new. The other one was last used only for snow removal at a long rural driveway. Think of the applications for a skid steer instead of a farm tractor; these fit more in that category rather than plowing etc. (But excellent for rototilling, with their high HP/weight ratio.)

The models that Yanmar used to sell here, and most of the gray models brought over subsequently, are extremely simple durable designs. They run years before they need anything and then repairs are about as simple as fixing a flat tire. Many don't have, and don't need, a water pump. Few have a fuel lift pump or fuel shutoff solenoid. The earlier ones don't have thermostats. The gas gauge is generally a float built as part of the fuel fill cap. (or often a transparent tank and no gauge). I used to do my own auto maintenance 30 years ago before cars became complicated. The maintenance and minor renovations I've done on my 30 year old Yanmars matches my (amateur) skill level. Parts have never been a problem, but the new owner should recognize that all parts are mailorder so these aren't suitable for use where it is critical to have replacement parts the same afternoon.

Your topic of 'Why Yanmar' really deserves its own thread, since this new issue of dealers being sued is critical to the continued use of Yanmars already imported here.

Thanks. I to like simple things at do the job year after year and it sounds like Yanmar got it right many years ago.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #27  
I do not have or ever driven any Yanmar.

Of all the well supported used tractors on the market today what drives someone to buy a grey market or non gray market Yanmar in the USA?

The ones that I see look to be about 18 HP but I assume they are great tractors in some types of farming.

Simplicity and reliability is what sells them and thats by word of mouth from a Yanmar owner normally. Unless a person is doing a lot of research they will most likely not run across the Yanmar name or even see one up close. I am in JD country and most of them dont know what Yanmar is they dont even know their JD CUT has one powering theirs until I tell them after they ask me about mine!

The smaller gray market units like say 18 hp are excellent for landscapers and small property owners who dont want to spend $20 grand on a green garden tractor.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #28  
The only dealers that Yanmar USA is going after are those dealers that are selling the gray models as a new unit and are not a Yanmar authorized dealer. If I was a corporation and I had US exclusive rights to a product I wouldn't want anyone else horning in on my territory.

JMNSHO!

I cant disagree with the competition idea except there aren't any authorized gray market dealers never were the grays are completely on their own. The US spec Yanmars are supported by Yanmar still is my understanding but grays are specifically discouraged at the US Yanmar dealers and JD for that matter.

And we are ALL disgusted at the dealers that represent these 30 yo machines as new low hours tractors I expect the VN dealers to get slammed next. I realize Big Red was selling VN imports but I mean the actual VN dealers jmho.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #29  
Does this mean all the Used Car dealers can look forward to being sued too?
Salvation Army? Vietnam Veterans of America? Anyone who redistributes a used product?
Man this is crazy.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #30  
I too think its crazy casue most of the ones selling Greys dont have Giant yanmar signs out front or anything. Its the same thing as the guy with a used car lot or the mecanic that rebuilds old chevy trucks or cars and sells them. There new looking but not new, even when putting a new gauge cluseter in its still not new, nor does it look new. Same with my 1979 tractor, other than new looking paint which really was not all that good, the thing dont look new? I mean looks nothing like a 2009 tractor when i bought mine.

But to yanmars defense, it worked for Kubota. No more (grey market)Kubotas can be imported into america, they will stay at the dock in impoundment when opened. The ones here were before the lawsuit.