Comparison Yanmar lawsuit.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #51  
Yanmar is trying to get ALL of the yanmar grey market tractors out of America. Of course we know that will not happen.

I am a mechanic for a named dealer in the lawsuit. I have seen these tractors come in from VN1, barely safe to start, it usually takes me 10-15hours to make them worthy for sale. Unfortunately, the dealers are getting the short end here. When the first warning letter. Came to my dealership, VN was asked to explain. VN told us not to worry about it. My dealership is dropping the line because of this lawsuit.
VN is reproducing these tractors and selling them as "refurbished". This is not like rebuilding a car, more like bootlegging a movie.
Thanks for that info. Now this is starting to make sense.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #52  
Yanmar is trying to get ALL of the yanmar grey market tractors out of America. Of course we know that will not happen.

I am a mechanic for a named dealer in the lawsuit. I have seen these tractors come in from VN1, barely safe to start, it usually takes me 10-15hours to make them worthy for sale. Unfortunately, the dealers are getting the short end here. When the first warning letter. Came to my dealership, VN was asked to explain. VN told us not to worry about it. My dealership is dropping the line because of this lawsuit.
VN is reproducing these tractors and selling them as "refurbished". This is not like rebuilding a car, more like bootlegging a movie.

The market and import distribution of these grey market Yanmars have changed over the years...
I purchased my YM1700 back in 1992 from a reputable dealer that had been in business for over 40 years...
They added those little Yanmars to give customers a low cost alternative to their other US brand...
They direct imported and bought containers at a time going to Japan and picking out the units they wanted...
They only sold what I consider good units and warranted them for a year...
I kept that tractor for 14 years and repaired nothing...
Nada...
Not one part...
Started with 667 hours...
Traded with 1250 hours...
Importers today are more problematic...
Personally, I am glad that Yanmar is importing again into the US their compact line...
If I was in the market for a new one and a dealer was close by, I would definitely look them up...
They make very good units IMHO...

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #53  

Interesting thanks for the info I sure hope you keep us up to date we are all wondering what will affect us and our future owning these excellent tractors.

edit: regarding the bolded text are you saying they have new castings and other "new" copied parts are how do you mean that statement reproducing just curious?

edit: Speaking for hopefully all of us hopefully your company survives & keep your job btw whatever happens.

Now if they start suing dealers that did crappy refurbs I will be very interested in that....

Last edited:
   / Yanmar lawsuit. #54  
So the tractors coming out of VN are not and never where yanmars?
Are they buying old hulks for the data plates then putting the plate on a VN built tractor?
I don't blame yanmar for trying to put an end to that.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #55  
VN is buying yanmar tractors that were solely designed for the Asian markets. However, the Asian tractors do not have the required safety equipment installed. Most of these refurbished tractors are not good tractors, they are GREAT tractors. But they are being sold without Yanmars concent and regulation. I don't believe that Yanmar is in this for the money.(They are the leading producer of the diesel engine globaly)
The do have a reputation to keep. With Yanmar introducing an independent line of compact tractor in the coming months, this lawsuit is in there best interest.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #56  
interesting discussion, all 5 pages. One question that doesn't seam to have been addressed yet is how will this impact those of us who own a gray market now. Seams that the parts are all available for whatever parts support we need to keep them running, could that change ?? Would it come down to not being able to legaly sell them when it comes time to upgrade ?? I understand the import issues, and the issues with the sellers, but what might be the impact to those of us now holding one ??
Chris

Hoye or someone will still be around selling parts for these tractors im am sure. There are thousands here in america, and as reliable and able to be fixed easily as these are someone will fill the parts void. Heck Hoye is selling parts all over the world so that out to say something about the parts demand for these tractors and who or who not it selling parts.

When you say "VN is reproducing these tractors" could you elaborate on that. I understand what your saying etc and am somewhat familiar with the way they aquire and rebuilt tracotors. But getting 2 old ones pulling the head putting new head gasket and new rings and a paint job, waterpump, belt and hoses is in a loose deffinintion rebuilding.

Now even if they reproduce the parts to go on the tractors this is basically aftermarket, and is what Hoye is doing by selling remade parts. Not saying Hoye is on the same page as them, not ever. These parts are probly lesser quality, but only important bearings or rings/liners are that critical, not a big deal to me that my rebuilt alternator may not be or that my paint is 3 shades off etc. Just want your take on it.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #57  
As a cool old famous guy once said "they can have my Yanmar when they pry my cold dead fingers off it" or something similar to that. :thumbsup:

And from what the jls just said I guess I was right about them not wanting to compete with theirselves fwtw.

Another thought that came to mind its like saying .223 ammo will be banned saying these will be banned there will be a glut like no other and the value of these tractors will skyrocket. maybe

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #58  
... saying these will be banned there will be a glut like no other and the value of these tractors will skyrocket. maybe
Maybe. A friend just sold his YM3000 for $500 more than he paid for it 8 years ago - when it was all shiny 'new' at the local VN importer. He had a few issues to fix that weren't disclosed to him when he bought it so it is actually a better tractor now than when it was "New Refurbished".

Hmmm. I wonder what my original-condition (but neglected-looking) YM240 is worth now. As a US Yanmar it should be a sought-after model. But actually I've seen a couple of them on CL here (Northern California) that aren't selling for more than the $3900 I paid for this one in 2003. The one guy who is asking $9k for his is likely to wait a while for a buyer!

Last edited:
   / Yanmar lawsuit. #59  
The used market seems to be up on things with financing tigher i guess and more folks paying cash and owning stuff. A frind of mine is selling thier boat, they told me its either bringing several $K more than it was worth a year of two ago or there selling it for about what they paid several years ago. I just dont rembember the particulars on this situation, but he did say that he and his brother will sell it insead of it sitting around as they both have newborns in thier future.

/ Yanmar lawsuit. #60  
Yes, California, mine did sell. And I did get $550 more than I origanaly paid Van 8 years ago. I hated to see it go, but 3 tractors for 5 acres is a bit much. My YM 3000 did hold it's value and then some. Original condition, looked great, had some issues that needed repair. I put at least that $550 back into parts, I don't count the labor. And that takes us back around to the subject of this post. After just selling mine a week ago, I suspect all of us out there have had the value of our gray market yanmars go up big time if you have had them for awhile. If Yanmar starts selling branded tractors in the US again, think the value of the grays could take a huge leap up again. Thinking Yanmar has considered this as well, even though factory support won't get any better. ( Hoye did a great job with needed parts ) If the value of the grays gets any better yanmar has to be considering that their might be a great increase in the gray market and they could end up conpeeting with themselves ?? I'm sure happy with my trade, and it's the beginning of a new winter project. And, California, I think Van would be prowd. It was on CL 4 days.
Chris

Last edited: