Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    '53 Ford NAA Jubilee, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower circa 1963

Default Re: concrete wheel weights

Your weights look good!

I've thought about making some for my ZTR mower. After looking at your project/results, I might give it a shot.

I'm wondering, how it would work to make a bottom "saucer" to cover the holes in the rim, maybe grease the rims or insert an aluminum form inside the rim and pour them right in the rim? The anchor bolts could be put right in place, through the rims, and held with nuts on both sides. ??
    Last edited by tmajor; 07-29-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    "There's gotta be a better way!"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Quote Originally Posted by tmajor View Post
    Your weights look good!

I've thought about making some for my ZTR mower. After looking at your project/results, I might give it a shot.

I'm wondering, how it would work to make a bottom "saucer" to cover the holes in the rim, maybe grease the rims or insert an aluminum form inside the rim and pour them right in the rim? The anchor bolts could be put right in place, through the rims, and held with nuts on both sides. ??
    The wheels have several curves, etc to deal with. I suppose one might take a heavy plastic and cover the wheel, then put bolts through as you suggested and pour away. I don't think all wheels are created equal so I would be sure there are no cavaties that might cause the weight to be captivated by the wheel. Every wheel may require a little different approach. I like your thinking here.

Somewhere on here is a thread of someone who did just that ,used the wheel for the cast with plastic to cover it .I couldnt find it for reference ..

Tractor
    Many in the past. Today, a Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG, Ex-Yanmars - 16 & 33 hp - now gone but never forgotten

Very Nice Work.
    rScotty
    Pride of place goes to our 2 cylinder John Deer 530. With her QA loader, smooth draft control, telescoping 3 pt arms, pwr steering, clutched PTO, comfortable seat, and remote hydraulics she's as useful today as 50 years ago. There's a Kubota M59 & a JD310SG for TLB work....giving us options on doing heavy jobs.
    We'll not forget Mr. Big & Mrs. Little - 33 & 16 hp Yanmars - now gone, but never forgotten.
    And a line-up of well-used implements that still work better than they look.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

id worry if i made them they would be lop sided and you would feel a "out of round" wobble like a misbalanced tire, or something.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Awesome job Winston they look great! Very clever adding those 4 pieces of wood in the mold to make clearance in the casting to clear the weld at the rim you thought that one out real well!
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Thanks to all of you for your compliments. So far they are working out great. I have left the antifreeze solution in the one tire. Sort of wanting to see how it acts.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D

Flat ground or sloping? On my little YM186D the full water fill plus 70 lb wheel weights each side still isn't as much ballast as I would like.

I just now came in after a few hours pulling a spike harrow around with it to knock down Jimson Weed (Datura) and blackberry vines that are starting to appear in the orchard. I could have used more ballast for traction, particularly to drag the harrow up the face of the small terraces between rows. Even on a straight clear uphill slope, it will run out of traction in 2nd range/1st gear before the load will pull down the rpms.

In my limited experience - I would ballast the wheels/tires any way possible until you reach a point where performance seems sluggish due to the weight. I did reach that point filling the oversize (12.4 x 24) tires on my YM240 before I had the ROPS, when I wanted that weight to reduce the risk of rollover. After I put on the ROPS I reduced the tire fill to 50% - but I would go back up to maximum to pull a plow etc.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

"Flat ground or sloping?" Mostly flat, but have tested on sloping. They are definitley a help, I agree with you, it would be hard for me to over weight the wheels on this 2002d.

Tractor
    1941 Ford 9N

Has anyone had any luck adding lead shot and tire slime? I would prefer not to risk getting a puncture and leaking antifreeze all over the place. I'm using lugghandles but wanted to add some inner tire ballast as well. Wanted to start with something simple and reversible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast