concrete wheel weights

/ concrete wheel weights #11  
Your weights look good!

I've thought about making some for my ZTR mower. After looking at your project/results, I might give it a shot.

I'm wondering, how it would work to make a bottom "saucer" to cover the holes in the rim, maybe grease the rims or insert an aluminum form inside the rim and pour them right in the rim? The anchor bolts could be put right in place, through the rims, and held with nuts on both sides. ??

Last edited:
   / concrete wheel weights
Your weights look good!

I've thought about making some for my ZTR mower. After looking at your project/results, I might give it a shot.

I'm wondering, how it would work to make a bottom "saucer" to cover the holes in the rim, maybe grease the rims or insert an aluminum form inside the rim and pour them right in the rim? The anchor bolts could be put right in place, through the rims, and held with nuts on both sides. ??

The wheels have several curves, etc to deal with. I suppose one might take a heavy plastic and cover the wheel, then put bolts through as you suggested and pour away. I don't think all wheels are created equal so I would be sure there are no cavaties that might cause the weight to be captivated by the wheel. Every wheel may require a little different approach. I like your thinking here.

/ concrete wheel weights #13  
Somewhere on here is a thread of someone who did just that ,used the wheel for the cast with plastic to cover it .I couldnt find it for reference ..

/ concrete wheel weights #15  
id worry if i made them they would be lop sided and you would feel a "out of round" wobble like a misbalanced tire, or something.

/ concrete wheel weights #16  
Awesome job Winston they look great! Very clever adding those 4 pieces of wood in the mold to make clearance in the casting to clear the weld at the rim you thought that one out real well! :thumbsup:

/ concrete wheel weights
Thanks to all of you for your compliments. So far they are working out great. I have left the antifreeze solution in the one tire. Sort of wanting to see how it acts.

/ concrete wheel weights #18  
Flat ground or sloping? On my little YM186D the full water fill plus 70 lb wheel weights each side still isn't as much ballast as I would like.

I just now came in after a few hours pulling a spike harrow around with it to knock down Jimson Weed (Datura) and blackberry vines that are starting to appear in the orchard. I could have used more ballast for traction, particularly to drag the harrow up the face of the small terraces between rows. Even on a straight clear uphill slope, it will run out of traction in 2nd range/1st gear before the load will pull down the rpms.

In my limited experience - I would ballast the wheels/tires any way possible until you reach a point where performance seems sluggish due to the weight. I did reach that point filling the oversize (12.4 x 24) tires on my YM240 before I had the ROPS, when I wanted that weight to reduce the risk of rollover. After I put on the ROPS I reduced the tire fill to 50% - but I would go back up to maximum to pull a plow etc.

/ concrete wheel weights
"Flat ground or sloping?" Mostly flat, but have tested on sloping. They are definitley a help, I agree with you, it would be hard for me to over weight the wheels on this 2002d.

/ concrete wheel weights #20  
Has anyone had any luck adding lead shot and tire slime? I would prefer not to risk getting a puncture and leaking antifreeze all over the place. I'm using lugghandles but wanted to add some inner tire ballast as well. Wanted to start with something simple and reversible.