concrete wheel weights

/ concrete wheel weights #1  

winston1

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I had my 2002d 8.3-24 tires filled with a weak antifreeze solution. Run over something the other day and punctured the tube. I found it to be quite a job to get the remaining antifreeze out in order to break the tire down and patch the tube. So after finally getting most of it out, tube repaired, back on tractor, I decided to take a new approach.

I want to clarify why weights help me so much. When using farming equipment such as breaking plow, disc, etc. the weight of the implement is useless when in the pulling mode.

I took pictures through the stages which I think pretty much explains how I did it. I used nearly all of 3 sacks of crack resistant mix. That calculates out to nearly 240 pounds for the 3 sacks. My research varied on googling dry concrete weight and of course the aggregate used changes weight. Seems normal concrete drys at appx 145# per cu. ft. My calculations of 21 3/4 od x 4.25" deep came out to .91334 cu ft per weight. My bathroom scale had one weight at 127#, the other at 130#. Heavier than my former antifreeze solution.

The metal on my forms is light aluminum flashing roll. Doubt anyone interested in making any of these but thought it might be interesting for you to see what an old man does to entertain himself.

Those are 5/8" x 6" capscrews which are a good fit in the wheel holes.

Attachments

• 100_5186.jpg
    100_5186.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 100_5188.jpg
    100_5188.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 949
  • 100_5189.jpg
    100_5189.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 100_5187.jpg
    100_5187.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 100_5234.jpg
    100_5234.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 100_5235.JPG
    100_5235.JPG
    984 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 100_5237.jpg
    100_5237.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 917
   / concrete wheel weights #2  
neat, if i get ambitious one day i may build some!! I think i will go with antifreeze as an easier approach first. Yea i know its not as heavy?

/ concrete wheel weights #3  
Looking good.

/ concrete wheel weights #4  
Those look terrific! Did you put any wire or rebar inside? Did you have to use any release agent on forms to get them to peel cleanly?

I may copy your plans. Great job!

/ concrete wheel weights #5  
You think they might crack?

/ concrete wheel weights
Those look terrific! Did you put any wire or rebar inside? Did you have to use any release agent on forms to get them to peel cleanly?

I may copy your plans. Great job!

No reinforcement other than the 6 bolts. No release agents, they came off pretty clean. I used this 4-1/2" Diamond Turbo Cup Wheel to clean up the outside a little bit. Then painted them white.

"You think they might crack?" Really don't know, I guess time will tell. I used the crack resistant mix which has fibers in it. They fit pretty tight in the wheels and with six bolts I don't think there should be any shake, rattling, or rolling going on so I hope they don't crack.

/ concrete wheel weights #7  
How in the world did you get them bolted inside wheels?

/ concrete wheel weights
I tried to be as accurate as possible with my bolt circle and bolt spacing. The first weight bolts slid right through the holes. The second one I had to put a nut on some of the bolts and use a hammer to bend the bolts slightly to make them line up. They are a close fit in the holes. The bolts stick out of the concrete a tad over 2" but only through the wheel the length of a nut. The nuts are easily accessible on the inside of the wheel. I did some mowing yesterday on some steep banks and can definitely tell a difference. So far, I'm as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.

/ concrete wheel weights #9  
I would worry about the bolt spacing too if I were to make concrete weights. What about removing a wheel and using it for a guide - with the bolts attached to the wheel - as the concrete is poured?

Also, do these weights rest on the lugnuts to prevent them from loosening?

Winston those look great!

/ concrete wheel weights
I would worry about the bolt spacing too if I were to make concrete weights. What about removing a wheel and using it for a guide - with the bolts attached to the wheel - as the concrete is poured?

Also, do these weights rest on the lug nuts to prevent them from loosening?

The weights do pull up and tighten against the wheel lug bolts. That is how they are secured.

The weights are made to fill all the area of the wheel and the wheels are the same diameter inside and out. If you made them enough smaller diameter to allow for screw heads I suppose you could stick the bolts through the wheels to aid in alignment. I wanted them to fit pretty snugly so there would be less chance of them being able to move. I probably made it sound harder than it was to get the bolts to line up. A 5/8" bolt anchored in concrete will easily bend a little. We are talking thousands, not inches.

I did take care in measuring and fabricating my forms to have the best chance possible for a fit. My form 5/8" holes were drilled on a drill press to assure a 90 degree straight hole.