Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Default concrete wheel weights

I had my 2002d 8.3-24 tires filled with a weak antifreeze solution. Run over something the other day and punctured the tube. I found it to be quite a job to get the remaining antifreeze out in order to break the tire down and patch the tube. So after finally getting most of it out, tube repaired, back on tractor, I decided to take a new approach.

I want to clarify why weights help me so much. When using farming equipment such as breaking plow, disc, etc. the weight of the implement is useless when in the pulling mode.

I took pictures through the stages which I think pretty much explains how I did it. I used nearly all of 3 sacks of crack resistant mix. That calculates out to nearly 240 pounds for the 3 sacks. My research varied on googling dry concrete weight and of course the aggregate used changes weight. Seems normal concrete drys at appx 145# per cu. ft. My calculations of 21 3/4 od x 4.25" deep came out to .91334 cu ft per weight. My bathroom scale had one weight at 127#, the other at 130#. Heavier than my former antifreeze solution.

The metal on my forms is light aluminum flashing roll. Doubt anyone interested in making any of these but thought it might be interesting for you to see what an old man does to entertain himself.

Those are 5/8" x 6" capscrews which are a good fit in the wheel holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails concrete wheel weights-100_5186.jpg   concrete wheel weights-100_5188.jpg   concrete wheel weights-100_5189.jpg   concrete wheel weights-100_5187.jpg   concrete wheel weights-100_5234.jpg  

concrete wheel weights-100_5235.jpg   concrete wheel weights-100_5237.jpg  

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Default Re: concrete wheel weights

neat, if i get ambitious one day i may build some!! I think i will go with antifreeze as an easier approach first. Yea i know its not as heavy?
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    traded MF135 for a 2605 4x4

Looking good.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240

Those look terrific! Did you put any wire or rebar inside? Did you have to use any release agent on forms to get them to peel cleanly?

I may copy your plans. Great job!

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

You think they might crack?
    Murph ------------

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Quote Originally Posted by 284 International View Post
    Those look terrific! Did you put any wire or rebar inside? Did you have to use any release agent on forms to get them to peel cleanly?

I may copy your plans. Great job!
    No reinforcement other than the 6 bolts. No release agents, they came off pretty clean. I used this 4-1/2" Diamond Turbo Cup Wheel to clean up the outside a little bit. Then painted them white.

"You think they might crack?" Really don't know, I guess time will tell. I used the crack resistant mix which has fibers in it. They fit pretty tight in the wheels and with six bolts I don't think there should be any shake, rattling, or rolling going on so I hope they don't crack.

Tractor
    YM2000, JD LA120

How in the world did you get them bolted inside wheels?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

I tried to be as accurate as possible with my bolt circle and bolt spacing. The first weight bolts slid right through the holes. The second one I had to put a nut on some of the bolts and use a hammer to bend the bolts slightly to make them line up. They are a close fit in the holes. The bolts stick out of the concrete a tad over 2" but only through the wheel the length of a nut. The nuts are easily accessible on the inside of the wheel. I did some mowing yesterday on some steep banks and can definitely tell a difference. So far, I'm as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

I would worry about the bolt spacing too if I were to make concrete weights. What about removing a wheel and using it for a guide - with the bolts attached to the wheel - as the concrete is poured?

Also, do these weights rest on the lugnuts to prevent them from loosening?

Winston those look great!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

[QUOTE=California;2945488]I would worry about the bolt spacing too if I were to make concrete weights. What about removing a wheel and using it for a guide - with the bolts attached to the wheel - as the concrete is poured?

Also, do these weights rest on the lug nuts to prevent them from loosening?

The weights do pull up and tighten against the wheel lug bolts. That is how they are secured.

The weights are made to fill all the area of the wheel and the wheels are the same diameter inside and out. If you made them enough smaller diameter to allow for screw heads I suppose you could stick the bolts through the wheels to aid in alignment. I wanted them to fit pretty snugly so there would be less chance of them being able to move. I probably made it sound harder than it was to get the bolts to line up. A 5/8" bolt anchored in concrete will easily bend a little. We are talking thousands, not inches.

I did take care in measuring and fabricating my forms to have the best chance possible for a fit. My form 5/8" holes were drilled on a drill press to assure a 90 degree straight hole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast